Thread: t 18 bolt up to a dana 18 t/c?

Default t 18 bolt up to a dana 18 t/c?

Hello all.
    im gonna but a t-18 transfer case, and its out of a 68 2wd international pick-up. what i know is the t-18 can bolt up to a dana 18 transfer case. but what im wondering is the spile count of the 3 speed the same as the out put shaft of the 4 speed? and if some of them are, what is the spline count of three speed? so i cant match it up with the 4 speed so i can just bolt up to my dana 18 transfer case. And all this stuff is going into a 1966 scout

Quote Originally Posted by scoutboy66 View Post
    Hello all.
    im gonna but a t-18 transfer case, and its out of a 68 2wd international pick-up. what i know is the t-18 can bolt up to a dana 18 transfer case. but what im wondering is the spile count of the 3 speed the same as the out put shaft of the 4 speed? and if some of them are, what is the spline count of three speed? so i cant match it up with the 4 speed so i can just bolt up to my dana 18 transfer case. And all this stuff is going into a 1966 scout
    The pickup trucks used a T98 4 speed, which is not the same as the T18 used in scouts. There is no t-case in a 2wd pickup or scout. The scouts have a married transfer case, and the pickups, both 2 and 4wd, used a u-joint output that fed a divorced transfer case. Same transmission in trucks, both 2 and 4wd, different in scouts between 2 and 4wd. Not gonna work.

The 4 speed you need is a "short shaft" T18 from a Scout 800, or else you need to use the drivetrain from a 4 cylinder Scout II. You can use the t-case from any year scout, but you need the bull gear that goes with the t-case. They vary slightly in pitch. Will work, but will whine if wrong, and will wear unevenly.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

ok thanks, i talked to the guy and he said that the transmissions were out of old 68 pick ups that were 2wd and that they are t-18 transmissions.