Thread: Keep the land rover discovery or get a Scout 2

Default Keep the land rover discovery or get a Scout 2

So, if I get rid of my Discovery (with 150,000 miles) before it gives up the ghost (Auto tranny, engine etc..), will a scout 2 with a 304, 4 sp be better choice,,,given the Disco stock gets better MPG, has coil springs,,,but parts are expensive and its alot more technical to work on the electronic engine than the carbuerator. The DISCO uses premium and the scout would use 87. Sorry, I am not allowed to have them both,,,what do you guys say?

150,000 miles for most vehicles is the end of the road. For an IH, its middle aged.

Properly mantained, a IH SV8 should last to 300,000 miles before it needs a rebuild. The body of a Scout usually rusts away before the engine craps out.

the 304 you are talking about was originally developed for use in school buses and dump trucks. Then IH just slapped that heavy duty engine into a light duty Scout.

Part of the attraction to Scouts for some people are their simplicity and ease to work on. No computers to mess with. However, modern upgrades are also available (like fuel injection).

Parts are not hard to find, but you have to be willing to look and sometimes wait for a part to be shipped. There are many vendors who deal with International Light Line parts all over the country. I personally have ordered parts from LL parts people all over the US.

The IH community has a bunch of great people who will be happy to help you out along the way. Try that with a jeep forum.

In other words, get a Scout. You won't regret it. However, I am biased

I'm going with scout

you may deal with rust but they run forever

Default Scout or rover?

For what it's worth, my 1975 int'l scout ii had 768,000 miles on it two years ago when the odometer broke. I've beat the hell out of it and have only replaced the alt. / water pump / and it's on it's third (3rd) starter. I always used castrol oil. As for parts........"federal valley motors" in westminster colorado..(they're in the book-ask for earl) or "coonrods" south of lakewood co.......he's got a yard that could assemble no less than 800 scouts.
    Toss the rover..........

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadGhost1 View Post
    For what it's worth, my 1975 int'l scout ii had 768,000 miles on it two years ago when the odometer broke. I've beat the hell out of it and have only replaced the alt. / water pump / and it's on it's third (3rd) starter. I always used castrol oil. As for parts........"federal valley motors" in westminster colorado..(they're in the book-ask for earl) or "coonrods" south of lakewood co.......he's got a yard that could assemble no less than 800 scouts.
    Toss the rover..........
    amen I get all the parts I can from Earl Jr over there. I haven't been to coonrods yet, hoping to soon