Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking at a great '79 Scout - Parts Question

Default Looking at a great '79 Scout - Parts Question

Hi all,

Yes yet another new guy.

I ran across a stock '79 in real good condition. It has the 304, Auto, factory A/C etc.

My grandfather had a '78 that I learned to drive in so it's tugging at the old heartstrings.

My question is parts. How hard is it getting to get them? Any issue I should consider?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hey Warren,
    There is a Scout CLub in San Diego. We are actually meeting this Saturday for a work day on a few scouts. Here is the info on when and where.
    You are more then welcome to swing by and chat with us and ask any kind of questions you like. Also, if you happen to have pictures of this scout and it is relatively near by we could help point to things to look at.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Hey Bill,

It is in Albequrque NM, so it's a bit tuff you know.

Can the Scout II's be flat towed behind a motorhome? What do they weigh empty?

Pictures below, here is the ad:

I'm having to sell my Scout II. This Scout is one of the nicest around for sure! Totally original in every way. 4WD, factory conditioning, 304 ci motor. I am the 3rd owner and the truck has always been in New Mexico. I have replaced all fluids and plugs and new set of wires. Transmission has been serviced, as well as both diffs. Truck has Dana 44's front and rear. Top has never been taken off of this Scout. The interior is in perfect condition. Has two small rust spots behind the doors on the lower rocker panels. I also have the tent that you could order with these trucks that hooks up to the tailgate, the tent has never been used. Has original paint and has had no body work done! I have all the books and manuals that came with this truck when it was bought in Santa Fe. Under the hood you will see the original engine bay stickers and the tire jack. Scout has 100,800 miles on it and runs as if it were new. Nothing has been changed or modified on this Scout, so if your looking for a stock Scout II this would be the one!! If you would like to know more just ask. If you would like more pictures just ask.
    -- Warren

-- Warren

-- Warren

-- Warren

-- Warren

-- Warren

So, there you have her...

My key worry right now is smogging in CA. The owner says it has no Catalytic Converter, but he owns a muffler shop and can add one. Any other key things I should look at emissions-wise? I'd hate to get it here and no be able to smog, or layout some big money for additional parts etc.

There are two 2"x2" rust spots on the lower panels, the previous owner sprayed on thet black stuff to stop the creep I guess.

He says everything works, it runs well (a little cold-blooded), the auto tranny shifts fine, she steers fine, brakes fine, doesn't leak any fluids etc. etc.

What do you all think? And what would you consider a fair price?

I appreciate all the advice I can get. I am kind of really hanging it out there if I fly to Albequrque and commit myself.

Thanks again!
    -- Warren

Looks like a top notch rig, in great shape. People back east pay upwards of 7-10K for those, sometimes more. In your area, maybe 3-4K.

The initial inspection by the state should be the only one you have to get, right? After that, it's exempt due to the 30 year rolling exemption statute? I forget, since I don't live there.

The question is, can you make it pass the sniffer test? The cats are needed for the visual, of course, but it's the EG analysis that I'd be worried about the most. I would want to tune it for emissions ASAP.

There may be aftermarket upgrades that have been approved on that vehicle, such as EFI or something, too. I don't know who would know that information, but it sure is worth a look.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak