Thread: carter carb

Default carter carb

I am rebuilding my 79 scout. It has a carter 4 barrel. Was this stock on some engines? I have read posts where the holley came with it. Also when reassembling it can I use an electronic ignition?

carter was stock hope it makes the rebuild. if you have the carter are you sure you don't have the pertronix distributor? it's electronic.
    74 scout II

I'll have a closer look. How do you think the carter compares with the holley?

Quote Originally Posted by rwc View Post
    I'll have a closer look. How do you think the carter compares with the holley?
    The thermoquad that came with the scout used only as much as it needed when the secondaries were engaged. It's a pretty good carb when it's running right. You can get them off of old 70s and early 80s chebbies.

The Holley that came on the earlier 392 wasn't a bad carb, either. Either way, you will need to tune the carb to your altitude.

The stock distributor is a Prestolite with an internal electronic module. It works fine. If you upgrade the coil, just make sure the primary has at least 1.5 ohms of resistance. The stock replacement coil has worked just as well as anything else I've tried using the internal module. My 79 electronic distributor drives an MSD6A box so I can gap the plugs wider. I run an Edelbrock 1405 on that one. I leave the electronic distributor in there as a backup, although points are a better option in that case.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak