Thread: Help changing out blown 345 to 318 mopar

Default Help changing out blown 345 to 318 mopar

Can we put the 318 on the 727 transmission?
    If we can't.... can we use the 904 transmission that came with engine and make it adapt to scout...first time at doing something like this.

it won't work the 727 is scout it will only fit a 304,345 or 392 and the 904 won't fit either sorry to give you bad news

It sounds like you'd be dropping 3 grand into a free drivetrain getting it to work. Check with Coonrods in Grants on Hwy 285. There is often a used engine in good condition to be had for a fair price.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

So the 904 transmission will not work on scout drivetrain?
    we have a 318 with a 904 attached but your saying won't work on scout
    sorry not to be thick just making sure

Quote Originally Posted by murphree87 View Post
    So the 904 transmission will not work on scout drivetrain?
    we have a 318 with a 904 attached but your saying won't work on scout
    sorry not to be thick just making sure
    What transfer case do you intend to use? Will it bolt to the transmission?
    What is the difference in over all length between the two power trains? Will the driveshafts still be the right length?

Anything can be made to fit into anything with enough money involved. The 318 is smaller than the 345 by a substantial amount. Only an IH engine will bolt to the auto behind a 345. Getting an adapter will cost you about 500 plus labor. You're into it for a grand with a "free" engine and a "free" transmission, and we don't even know what the transmission's original application is, or what you intend to do with the scout. If you're planning to take it off road, all this matters. If you're building a street machine without 4wd, yes, drop it in and fab up the mounts and be done with it. I can't imagine why anybody would do that, but people do it in spite of my bewilderment.
    Allan E.

ok looks like we are selling the 318 which came out of a 74 challenger
    We were frustrated with our 345 because we kept going through water pumps and starters thats why we were trying to go a different route
    i appreciate yor input
    Any suggestions that would help the water pump issue and starter
    since you seem to be a wealth of knowledge.
    We threw a rod in old engine..have big gapping holes in oil pan

Quote Originally Posted by murphree87 View Post
    ok looks like we are selling the 318 which came out of a 74 challenger
    We were frustrated with our 345 because we kept going through water pumps and starters thats why we were trying to go a different route
    i appreciate yor input
    Any suggestions that would help the water pump issue and starter
    since you seem to be a wealth of knowledge.
    We threw a rod in old engine..have big gapping holes in oil pan
    The water pumps for the SV series engines come in two styles. Yours would be a clutch fan style from the factory, although it could have been changed.

They also come in two grades, cast and stamped vanes in the impellers. I prefer the cast.

I'm also big on electric fans. Takes the weight off of the water pump shaft, and you can use any of several junkyard fans to rig up a much better cooling system.

When you have a 727 automatic (73 and later scouts), there is a spacer ring for the starter to keep the nose cone from pushing against the bell housing. It matters.

Any SV engine will replace the 345. They are mentioned often here, 266, 304, 345, or 392. The 392 is exactly the same size as the 345, outer dimensions. The 304 and 266 are slightly smaller. The 266 was discontinued in 69, and although a good engine, it's not all that popular. Unless you happen across a fresh rebuild, stay with one of the other three. The flex plate is the same for all 4 engines, so you can pull the parts from the old engine. If you end up with a spare torque converter or flex plate, somebody will need it. If you end up with a clutch and flywheel you don't need, somebody will need it.

Used ones are not hard to find. Hundreds of us buy rotted out scouts, pickups, and travelalls just so we can swap the engines and such. Happens all the time.
    Allan E.

Default Problems

Ok for a starter, DO NOT buy either from checker, shucks, or kragens. I have gone thru 3 wp's, 4 starters, and 5 itributors from them, all lifetime warrenty but damn!!!! and thats just on my scout!!!!!!!!!! I bought a mallory dissi, and a gear drive starter from ih-only. and havent had a prob since(Still trying to find a good brand of wp).