Thread: disc brake question

Default disc brake question

can i swap dana 44 disc brakes with my dana 30 i like the gear ratio i have in my dana 30 right is it a bolt-on swap. i do have a a dana 44 in my parts collection

you can do the axle swap, in fact just did a three scout axle swap today as a scout chapter work day. For your swap, i suggest you get the steel hardline, rubber line that goes with the dana 44, also the proportioning valve. On top of that, make sure the dana 44 you are installing is the SAME GEAR RATIO as your rear, VERY IMPORTANT.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Quote Originally Posted by john breeze View Post
    can i swap dana 44 disc brakes with my dana 30 i like the gear ratio i have in my dana 30 right is it a bolt-on swap. i do have a a dana 44 in my parts collection
    Yes, IF the D30 is an open knuckle, I believe they are the same ball joints/knuckles. I believe the axle shafts are the same, too.

All Scout II axles are a bolt on swap for each other. The real differences are knuckles, brakes, and gear ratios, but the housings themselves will interchange.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak