Thread: A727 to a518 conversion possible? Scout ii with Auto Overdirve ?

Default A727 to a518 conversion possible? Scout ii with Auto Overdirve ?

Has any one tried to do this. I found out that the a 518 is basically the same as the 727 but a few inches longer and has over drive. I found an article where some mopar people are using it in a Road runner or something in order to get overdrive out of it. Here is the link.

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/43323_mo...wap/index.html

I know the drive shafts would have to be altered becase the 518 is a few inches longer. What i wish i could find out is weather or not the bolt pattern would mate to my 345 and if I can bolt on my dana 20 , If the bolt patter is corrct or there is a bell housing adaptor it would seem really cool just to buy and wrecked 4x4 dodge for the tranny and possibly the transfer case.

Hope this sparks some creative thinking or ends my dangerous thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by jtl1100 View Post
    Has any one tried to do this. I found out that the a 518 is basically the same as the 727 but a few inches longer and has over drive. I found an article where some mopar people are using it in a Road runner or something in order to get overdrive out of it. Here is the link.

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/43323_mo...wap/index.html

I know the drive shafts would have to be altered becase the 518 is a few inches longer. What i wish i could find out is weather or not the bolt pattern would mate to my 345 and if I can bolt on my dana 20 , If the bolt patter is corrct or there is a bell housing adaptor it would seem really cool just to buy and wrecked 4x4 dodge for the tranny and possibly the transfer case.

Hope this sparks some creative thinking or ends my dangerous thinking.
    If you look at the case on the IH version of the 727, you will see that it is unique to the IH engine. The 727 was made for different engines with essentially the same internal parts. You can't even switch from BB to SB mopar, much less from mopar to IH. You will have to change the engine as well. When it comes to scouts, if you change the engine, put in the transmission that goes with it, because it really is about the gears. There are some adapters out there, but since you will be fabricating new driveshafts for this conversion, new mounts... well, you get the picture.

You can use different tailshaft housings on the 727. One of the things that people do is use the jeep or Ramcharger tailshaft housings so that they can upgrade the t-case. I get pretty excited about a STAX t-case with a multispeed 10:1 low range behind a 727. Allows you to use the highway gears in the diffs, which are stronger than the 4 series. The price tag is not for the faint hearted, though. All told, you're into it for about 3500 plus any labor and misc. gadgets. Personally, I think it's worth it, but then you have to make the rest of the rig into something besides a beater. . . nah. forget that. Let's go play in the woods!
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Smile Swap out a 318 or 360 and an a518

I thought about this a few years ago. I have a 93 Grand Cherokee with a 318 & 4spd OD and thought it would be cool to put that tranny in my scout, or even my GTX. Imagine a 440 6 pack getting 20+ mpg!

I had to replace the trans at about 150K and checked it out while I was doing the swap. The bell housings are way different for both the Scout and 440 as I knew but I thought about swapping the guts. I took the over drive off of the a518 and compared it with an old 727 case. It would take a lot of machine work if it is even possible. No oil galley for the OD.

This killed the idea for the GTX but a possible swap for the Scout remains to swap with a 318 or 360 and the tranny. This way you get EFI and maybe 20 mpg like the Jeep.

Another thought might be swaping a HEMI with OD tranny hmm.

Rog K

Yeah thats pretty much what I thought. I am again being to complicated. I would love to think I am talented enough to swap housings and do the machining butwith the money factor honesty sets in. Something in me wants the International 345 to stay an international 345. I guess I could spend a lot of money on modifications to save gas or just spend it on the gas in the first place.

Thanks for the good information, this bulletin always saves me money and time.

If you want a tranny with an overdrive. You can go with a 700R4 IHonly and advance adapters sell a kit. The kit ihonly sells may be from advance adapters. I would post a link but binder bulletin blocks any links or photos i post still.

if you watched Xtreme 4x4 today they used the adapter i wrote about.

Default trans

Best bet is like was said above, a 700r4 with the adapter.

Default 700r4

Allright, just reading your thread. Sounds interesting. I own a 700R4 with the 208 Transf case. Without removing the 208tcase; the drivetrain minus the engine measures 64.5" in length making the rear driveshaft appx 2-2.5ft long considering the soa lift I have currently.

I have a Scout 80 Slant 4 mounted stock. After speaking with Jeff from IHONLY he said that even if I went this route mounting a 4cyl to a 700R4 that I would have to clock the engine in order to retain a level automatic transmission.

Ok, I get it. but I want to see if when I order the bellhousing adapter for the 700r4 if I could clock drill the holes to reorient the rest of the drivetrain.

No worries either this will or wont be the situation, I might still get my buddy's 304v8 (free) and go from there.