Thread: Headlight issue

Default Headlight issue

So I just got my 80 Scout II working again, and my friend was taking it around the block one night and when he came back around the headlights didnt work. The running lights and the side markers still work on the circut, but there are no headlights. I checked the lights theselves and they are good, the fuse is good, the highs and lows both go to ground and there is power to the circut because the markers are on and they all go to a common ground...

does anyone have any idea what is going on?

This is the diagram that I have been working off of...

Quote Originally Posted by bobgengeskahn View Post
    So I just got my 80 Scout II working again, and my friend was taking it around the block one night and when he came back around the headlights didnt work. The running lights and the side markers still work on the circut, but there are no headlights. I checked the lights theselves and they are good, the fuse is good, the highs and lows both go to ground and there is power to the circut because the markers are on and they all go to a common ground...

does anyone have any idea what is going on?
    My favorite guess when I see this problem is that your friend kicked the high beam foot switch connector loose. Check for voltage at the switch and troubleshoot the circuit from there. If wiggling the connector back on to the dimmer switch does not help, pull the connector back off and check for voltage. I think the feed is the single/center pin and the other two are hi/lo, but it's been a while. If you have voltage anywhere on the connector, jump the wire from that connector to one of the others. If your lights come back, you have a bad dimmer switch.

I have found this to be the problem in about 7 out of 10 tries. The other three have been 1 defective dimmer, 1 bad wire to the headlight (broken) and one bad switch. Still, the odds are very much in favor of the dimmer switch.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default Headlights

The other possible problems are either "upgraded" ie higher wattage bulbs, or a bad headlight circuit breaker(integral to the switch).