Thread: What were the differences between early 70's pickups?

Default What were the differences between early 70's pickups?

I bought a 71 1310 4x4 fleetside pickup and the body is gone. Looking to purchase a truck for sheetmetal swap. What were the differences between 1970-1975 pickups? Like interiors, exteriors, panel mounting, etc.. Want to find a trcuk that is original for a 1971 pickup. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by notyepcars View Post
    I bought a 71 1310 4x4 fleetside pickup and the body is gone. Looking to purchase a truck for sheetmetal swap. What were the differences between 1970-1975 pickups? Like interiors, exteriors, panel mounting, etc.. Want to find a trcuk that is original for a 1971 pickup. Thanks
    1310= late 71 thru 73 one ton truck. Axles are Dana 70 front, Dana 70 or RA15 or RA20 rear.
    Bodies are the same for 1100/1110 from 69-75.
    Paint schemes vary. Can't help you there. Line set ticket will give you info on the original paint/color scheme.
    Interiors mostly the same. Cosmetic differences only. Colors, etc.
    Slight differences with the 74/75 bodies, but they will still swap.
    Beds are the same.

There was a weight distribution change in 74. Engine moved back 6 inches, wider spring perches for rear axle, primary driveshaft shortened by 6 inches, exhaust manifolds changed to rear dump, frame changed (except duallies), and front disc brakes added.

If you find a 69-75 pickup, it will work. Just swap the good parts. Even the judges at the q-tip truck shows don't notice what year your spedometer is as long as it's the right color.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Hello Allen.

I live in Polson, Montana, and have a question for you.

I noticed that you mentioned in a post that there are some differences between frames of the '6?-'73 vs. '74/'75's. I am just beginning to try to meld a '74 3/4t 4x4 running gear (392/4spd/205/axles) onto a '72 3/4t 2x2 4-door. I have gotten the rear hangers, springs, and axles done, and am about to begin work in the front. I planned on using the '74 motor setback design and all applicable parts. It has come to my attention that there seems to be a little more crease up front on the later frame. It looks like the rear hangers of the front springs come outboard of the frame more on the '74 than on the '72. I think I can overcome that by using the '72 hangers just moved up to the 4x4 position. But I haven't got the truck apart enough yet to see how different the motor mounts and area between the frame is between the two. If any of this makes any sense, and you have any insight please contact me. I will finish stripping the '74 frame this weekend and hopefully have a plan follow after that.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Z. Groves