Thread: Trouble starting after a transmission swap

Default Trouble starting after a transmission swap

I have been working on my 74 Scout II. I swapped my steering column with one that is in better condition and the automate transmission also. Now that I am to the point that I need to crank the engine to tighten the torque converter bolts I can not get the engine to turn over. I was able to get it to crank by jumping the starter solenoid to crank the engine. However when I try to crank the engine with the key nothing happens. Any ideas on what I can check to get it to turn over?

Did you hook the neutral safety switch back up?

You should be turning that engine by hand to tighten those bolts. Use a long 15/16 socket on the crank pulley bolt. It's a perfect fit.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I have been working on my 74 Scout II. I swapped my steering column with one that is in better condition and the automate transmission also. Now that I am to the point that I need to crank the engine to tighten the torque converter bolts I can not get the engine to turn over. I was able to get it to crank by jumping the starter solenoid to crank the engine. However when I try to crank the engine with the key nothing happens. Any ideas on what I can check to get it to turn over?
    your starter solenoid could be shot when was the last time your starter was rebuilt? and how much oily gunk is covering it. I had that problem.