Thread: transfer case question

Default transfer case question

I have a 79' with 345 auto and Dana 20. The Transfer case makes noise. really just like vibration noise it hasnt quit on me yet but it makes me a bit nervous when towing longer distances. I can but whole rebuilt Dana 20's intended for jeeps for less than I can buy the rebuild kit. Does anyone know if they are completely the same and weather or not they will bolt up without adaptation. For that matter is there a case for switching to the Dana 300 twin stick and the same fitment question applies.

Thanks in advance

The Scout t-cases have a "texas" bolt pattern on them.

When you have a 727 automatic, you can swap the jeep tailhousing to take different cases. This requires dismantling of the transmission. If I was going to that much expense, I surely would spend the money for an upgraded t-case, like an atlas or a stax, or at least use the jeep D300.

The 1980 scouts came with a D300, but it has the same texas bolt pattern. No twin sticks, but you can convert them.

You should have no problem swapping in a t-case from any other year Scout. The early ones use a different bull gear, but only the pitch of the teeth is slightly different. It will whine a little, but it will work. There is a bull gear cross over on one of the jeep sites. I forget which one.

I don't know of any adapters or tailshaft housing swaps for the manual transmissions.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default tail housing

Ok so for clarity no dana 300 will just bolt in. Not even one from a 80 Scout II? And a Dana 20 from a Jeep is also no good because of the bolt pattern? Thats too bad so many available. I am not a real serious rock crawler just saw what I thought were going to be some easy solutions to a better transfer case. I. E. Cheap. since thats what I am. I have been in the red ever since I started this "project". Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jtl1100 View Post
    Ok so for clarity no dana 300 will just bolt in. Not even one from a 80 Scout II? And a Dana 20 from a Jeep is also no good because of the bolt pattern? Thats too bad so many available. I am not a real serious rock crawler just saw what I thought were going to be some easy solutions to a better transfer case. I. E. Cheap. since thats what I am. I have been in the red ever since I started this "project". Thanks again.
    The D300 from a 1980 scout WILL bolt in. You must have the bull gear specific to the 727 transmission as well.

The 727 tailshaft housng has to be specific to the type of t-case you use. If you have a D300 from a jeep, you need the tailshaft housing from the jeep. You can find them at boneyards if you keep your eyes open. The work is in pulling the transmission and replacing the housings.
    Allan E.

any changes necessary to the drive shafts?

Quote Originally Posted by jtl1100 View Post
    any changes necessary to the drive shafts?
    I don't recall for sure, but my gut reaction would be "no" for the D300 or other scout t-cases. It would be more likely that suspension changes, such as lift or spring over or shackle reversal, etc would have more impact. I doubt there would be more than an inch difference, maybe none, but certainly enough for the slip yokes to handle.
    Allan E.

I think so. The round one is the one you're looking for. The funny shaped one, if you "mirror" it, looks like the outlind of the state of texas. That's the stock one for scouts. Jeep used the texas pattern for a while, I think, but not for very long, and I'm told only with Dana 20s. You know how AMC was. The only company worse than IH for using everybody else's stuff.

IH also used AMC 232 and 258 engines in the earlier Scout IIs. They have 727s in them as well, scout transfer cases. Easy way to get an AMC 304, 360, or 400 small block into a scout. I'm not a big fan of those, but they do the trick. The 440/727/D20 combo from a Ramcharger is also a good way to convert the drive train, get the tailshaft housing you want. It's those fixed, engine specific bell housings that are the hard thing to overcome. I like the 440, very smooth low end torque like an IH 392, but has 1000 rpm higher range. I'm a fan of entire drive train swaps for the desired result. Not a fan of adapters between engine/transmission.
    Last edited by Allan E.; 06-08-2009 at 11:25 AM.
    Allan E.

Default over complicated

All that being said it may be better just to find a rebuild kit and redo my own Dana 20 for the time being. Kits I am finding run around 180 complete. Does that sound about right to you guys?

That does sound about right.

There is also a terra-low kit that gives you a 3.15:1 low range if I recall correctly. It requires a little bit of grinding on the case, but nothing you can't handle if you're rebuilding anyway. Might be worth the extra dollars to increase your crawl ratio by 50%.
    Allan E.