Thread: To Frame off or Not to Frame off

Default To Frame off or Not to Frame off

I am looking for some advice on whether I should do a complete Frame
    off restoration or keep the body on while I repair. It's a 78 Scout 345
    The engine sounds great, no smoke, no knocking..etc..Transmission shifts
    great although there is a pretty good leak.

The radiator, body mounts, wiring harness are a must in replacing. I am changing leaf springs, U bolts and shocks as well. I have already replaced
    all brakes with new rotors,calipers,drums..etc.

The Driver's rear QP must also be replaced. There is slight surface rust
    on the underbody, but nothing drastic. I am planning on replacing the alternator, carb, air cleaner, Power steering pump, ignition..wires..etc.

My only fear is that I bought a scout, and I don't want to start the frame off
    only to have a garage full of scout parts for the next 5 years..I have heard horror stories..

I also realize that I am replacing a lot of components, and to what extent does it make sense to just take everything off.

Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks
    78 Scout II
    345 V8

Quote Originally Posted by 78scouII View Post
    I am looking for some advice on whether I should do a complete Frame
    off restoration or keep the body on while I repair. It's a 78 Scout 345
    The engine sounds great, no smoke, no knocking..etc..Transmission shifts
    great although there is a pretty good leak.

The radiator, body mounts, wiring harness are a must in replacing. I am changing leaf springs, U bolts and shocks as well. I have already replaced
    all brakes with new rotors,calipers,drums..etc.

The Driver's rear QP must also be replaced. There is slight surface rust
    on the underbody, but nothing drastic. I am planning on replacing the alternator, carb, air cleaner, Power steering pump, ignition..wires..etc.

My only fear is that I bought a scout, and I don't want to start the frame off
    only to have a garage full of scout parts for the next 5 years..I have heard horror stories..

I also realize that I am replacing a lot of components, and to what extent does it make sense to just take everything off.

Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks
    I would think "frame off" if the frame needs repairs or if the underbelly of the body needs repairs you can't do any other way. You don't need to pull the body to replace the mounts. You can decide whether to do a body lift at the same time you replace the mounts. I am partial to a 1 inch body lift, but that's a personal choice. If the floor is in good shape, the frame is in good shape, and you can do the body work without it, I say don't do the frame off. On the other hand, removing the bolts to the body mounts and lifting the body may make sense in your case. Once you figure out how would be the easiest way to remove the body, only you could really know what's best.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

The front and bed of the floor were replaced by the previous owner. Question on the body lift.. I plan on putting a 2 inch suspension lift and was going to replace the bushings with new body bushings... Would a 1inch body lift and replacement of body mounts be basically the same thing?
    78 Scout II
    345 V8

Quote Originally Posted by 78scouII View Post
    The front and bed of the floor were replaced by the previous owner. Question on the body lift.. I plan on putting a 2 inch suspension lift and was going to replace the bushings with new body bushings... Would a 1inch body lift and replacement of body mounts be basically the same thing?
    I would say that the lift would net you 1" over stock, but I've been wrong about the obvious stuff before. Yes, essentially the same job, though. The 2" lift causes you to fiddle with the steering column a bit, also maybe the clutch linkage, but I think the 1" lift is just a straight install, just the same as the body mounts.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default 1" lift

Hey, I should have done a frame off but didn't and regret it... This scout was my first vehicle too. Being an 18 year old you gotta go big or go home so i put a 1 inch body lift in mine... use hockey pucks on new body mounts go to TSC or equivalent get the needed length grade 8 steel bolts use a floor jack and a wood block really simple to do. And cheap. as for the work you listed I don't think you need to do a body off my truck was the same way great drive train bad body. but I had to do inner and outer QP both sides and the bed floor and kick panels and rockers... see where I am going. sorry I got off track there. the only thing you have to change with a 1 inch body lift is your fan shroud unbolt it first. I just cut little chunks of flat bar and bolted it on an inch lower pretty simple. If you go to a 2 inch body you have to do filler neck ,steering ,sometimes wiring, and huge shroud move. My scout has a 2.5 suspension lift with 1.5 longer shackles and that looks really nice but you need longer drive shafts I am stretching the shite out of my slip yokes.
    Last edited by skierman; 06-08-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Default Frame off

IMHO if you have the ability/tools to easily remove the body, I would recommend it. It lets you go over the frame, clean, paint, and hopefully not find cracks that would otherwise hide(don't ask why I mention the cracks :S). If you don't have the ability/tools. Then don't, but either way best of luck.

Jason