Thread: 1700 transmission problem

Default 1700 transmission problem

Hi, I'm new here. I have a '71 Loastar, 345, with a five speed trans. I recently had to replace the trans when I went to TN; found a used one at a junkyard. It got me back to Florida, but then stuck in either 3rd or 5th, and I had to get it towed home. I took the top of the trans off, had the worn fork built up with a weld and ground at a machine shop, and replaced the top. It felt like it was going to shift fine, but when I drove it, I couldn't find gears and it stuck in granny low. I took the top off again and put it back on, but still can't shift. Could this be a clutch problem, or is it the trans, or just that I don't know how to put the top back on right?

I know the clutch is slipping a little, as it was doing so when climbing those hills in TN. I found a half moon keeper under the truck which looks like the one that goes on the throw out bearing fork shaft through the bell housing.

One thing appears to me suspicious: when you have the trans top off, you can see the place where the shifter fits into, and the part on the right side seems to turn up on it's shaft and allow the shifter to go where it can't shift gears.
    Last edited by Living Faith; 09-14-2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: wrong wording

Tough call, but it sounds like the transmission is the problem. I have no idea what you did to modify the top cover and shift forks, but getting a replacement shouldn't be that difficult. Boneyards across the USA are full of them.

Even a little bit of clutch is enough to shift the gears when the engine is not running. If you can get it to move, it's disengaged.

I believe the 5 speeds in those trucks were fullers. They shouldn't be all that hard to find.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

THanks Allan. This will be the second trans put in within a month.

.... did the car do that before with the old torque converter? reason why i ask its because i remember the same problem happen to me but i dont remember which i change first i believe it was the torque converter but didnt work with a new one then changed transmission

I found out why I couldn't shift. The shifting rail had an allen screw that had backed out and needed tightening. That's all it was.

About a year or so later, maybe two years now, I had to have the tranny rebuilt. Then my 345 started knocking. I use this truck all the time to move logs and limbs in my tree service. But since it has had cracks and welds on the frame, I bought another truck to replace it, rather than try to rebuild the 345. Now I'm running into huge costs to move the knuckle boom loader from the International to the Ford. Uggh. Decisions, decisions.

If I can find someone to move the loader to my new truck for a reasonable amount, I will sell the 345. Any buyers?
    Last edited by Living Faith; 09-14-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: more info

your gonna be sorry not having that boom on the IH, if you was in ohio i'd do it. done a lota that stuff here. jeff

Did you make sure it was in neutral when you put the shifter top back on? If not, it'll cause trouble. If the roll pin or set screw comes loose on the shifter rods, it'll put the slots out of synch in neutral.

Mine has the same problem. With out the long trip going to the transmission shop today. hope I get better news. But not holding my breath.

Hey everyone

Im having a problem with my automatic transmission in my Jeep. The Jeep had approximately 71k on it and was used as a daily driver up until abo it 4-5 weeks ago.

I had a seized caliper a little while ago and i had to drive on it for a little while and it ended up putting a lot of stress on my tranny. I was driving on the highway and it started to seem like it was slipping in overdrive. I would let go of the throttle on the highway and then give it throttle again and it would Rev up a little and then engage. I came to a stop and when I went to accelerate the Jeep just revved up and the entire caught. I was on my way home so I babied it and it kept happening each time I stopped. I then got to an incline and it just revved up and my dash lit up. I finally got home and let it cool, and read the codes and it had gone into tranny protect mode. I changed the caliper that night and had left it for the next 2 days.

I then took it out and drove it around a bit and couldnt get it to replicate the problem. I drove it on and off for the next few weeks but didnt put too many miles on it. Then last weekend I was on my way out to Rausch Creek and 180 miles or so into the trip it would Rev up slightly on the highway. I immediately stopped at the next exit and when I came to a stop an dried to accelerate again it revved up a little and caught. I pulled it into a gas station checked the fluid which was fine and then let it sit for a few. I decided it might be best for me to head home instead of out to wheel....

I was very irritated and HAMMERED the jeep home.... I was moving and then 180 miles or so later arrived at my house without any problem. No slipping or issues all the way back....

Im at a loss here.... I am thinking I maybe baked the trans fluid during my seized caliper episode and the fluid needs to be changed?

Has anyone experienced any problems like this? Maybe the fluid? Maybe electrical? Maybe gremlins?

Additionally does anyone know any good trans shops I can maybe bring this to in the Fairfield Connecticut area? Even into New York will be fine. I need this figure out