Thread: Transmission swap; 1970 800A

Default Transmission swap; 1970 800A

Alright, I know this has probably been covered a thousand times over but I'm having trouble finding any previous posts that cover my exact situation. I've got a 1970 800A, and I'm looking to swap the three speed for a little more road practical four speed. I'm thinking swapping to a T-18 would be the most painless route. But I'm not even sure what that would entail for the most part, I'm sure it's not going to be as simple as dropping the old transmission and bolting in the new one. I was wondering if you guys had any input as to what I can expect, and what I need to insure I've got on hand before I get elbow deep and suddenly find myself stuck on something I've overlooked. This'll be my first transmission swap, and I want things to go as smoothly as possible. Also, if you've got any ideas for a better, but still dead simple, transmission alternative, let me know.

Thanks!!
    -Ray

it would help if you gave the engine size then we can go from there

Default 194

My girls got a 196. Though I think I may have found just what I need. I found a guy that has a 800A with the factory 4 speed, which I'm guessing is going to be a T-18. I'm currently getting more info.

Thanks
    -Ray

Default transmission compatibility

If the donor 800A transmission is a short shaft T18 from a 4 cyl Scout 800 it will work. You will need the bellhousing as it is specific to that transmission and application. There is no other transmission that will bolt straight up. Be sure that the linkage is coming with it. You shouldn't have problems if both your rig and the donor have mechanical clutch mechanisms or both have hydraulic mechanisms.

If you have trouble, email me.