Thread: 1973 international scout 2

Default 1973 international scout 2 questions

There is a 1973 scout 2 that I am thinking about purchaseing and was wondering if you guys could tell me what I need to look out for. I have never owned a scout before but have heard that they are very capable trail rigs. I want one to use as a trail/camping rig. Any info you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.
    Here is what the ad said:
    $1000 or b/o or trade. I have a 73 international scout I need to sell. The motor, trans, transfer case, and differentials were rebuilt a few years ago and it hasn't been driven much since. It has a spring over lift and 33 inch tires. It doesn't have much rust mostly around the rear wheel wells but has a few dents in the front fenders. It runs good but carbs could use a cleaning I drove it around for about thirty minutes a couple of weeks ago with no problems. it does need a new key switch it starts without the key now it also needs the front axle trued it wasn't done properly when lifted and also needs a new battery. other than that it would make a good hunting rig. I start it and drive it around occasionaly just to keep it lubricated. I haven't registered it in a while because work and family came before toys and now it needs to go to someone who will use it. Feel free to call late I work nights so I'm always up late. I am willing to consider trades so let me know what you have. I can always looking for guns, motorcycles, or a good riding lawnmower.
    Last edited by turnkyle; 06-10-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Last edited by turnkyle; 06-10-2009 at 04:13 AM.

Since my link hasn't been approved yet here is what the description said

$1000 or b/o or trade. I have a 73 international scout I need to sell. The motor, trans, transfer case, and differentials were rebuilt a few years ago and it hasn't been driven much since. It has a spring over lift and 33 inch tires. It doesn't have much rust mostly around the rear wheel wells but has a few dents in the front fenders. It runs good but carbs could use a cleaning I drove it around for about thirty minutes a couple of weeks ago with no problems. it does need a new key switch it starts without the key now it also needs the front axle trued it wasn't done properly when lifted and also needs a new battery. other than that it would make a good hunting rig. I start it and drive it around occasionaly just to keep it lubricated. I haven't registered it in a while because work and family came before toys and now it needs to go to someone who will use it. Feel free to call late I work nights so I'm always up late. I am willing to consider trades so let me know what you have. I can always looking for guns, motorcycles, or a good riding lawnmower.

Nobody has any advice for buying a scout?

I am still kind of a newbie on scouts but I do know that you want to check
    for rust in the usual area's. Fender well's and floors are usually where most
    of the problems are. It's got a SOA lift, which is a bonus (if done correctly).
    I would be a little concerned about the front axel though...From my experience (8 months) Scouts are awesome if you are patient with finding the problems and correcting them the right way. Also look at the underside of the radiator,
    to see if it needs replacing..they are expensive, trust me.. I know. Other than that, go with your gut feeling..there are some pretty smart dudes on this website that give really good advice...and most importantly..anything less...is just a car...good luck.
    78 Scout II
    345 V8

Rust.
    Hack jobs.
    How well do the engine and transmission work?
    Steering components.
    Look for rust again. Be especially cognizant of the area UNDER the floor mats. Scouts rust from the inside out due to floor mat design, even in the desert. Spilled coffee=acidic water.

Expect to put some serious money into the scout. You will find issues. It's 36 years old, and things fall apart on their own.

Change ALL of the fluids in the transmission, t-case, differentials, and brake system needs to be completely flushed. Just do it.
    Grease all the fittings. Inspect the u-joints and slip yokes on the driveshafts.
    Inspect the brakes, front and rear. Do they work well? Check them anyway. Pull the drums on the rear.

If you get that far, ask which oils and lubricants to use. Using the wrong ones is a disaster. Do not trust a mechanic to know. They usually don't in this case, and what you do to keep a chevy running just aint the same.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

If, in fact, the engine, trans and diffs were truly "rebuilt" a year ago it would be worth $1000. Without receipts I wouldn't believe it.
    If it ran good and didn't leak anywhere I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it. The body is wrecked/rusted everywhere Scouts typically rust and the SOA was done wrong. Who knows what else is hiding in that thing.

Also, I don't know the smog laws in UT but the smog pump is missing.
    Last edited by That Guy; 06-22-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Although here in MI you cant even get a cj5 w/o a body on it for under 1000.

But I dont know what prices are like there. if its 4x4 and it runs then he will probably get it.

For a thousand bucks, I would say its a pretty decent deal. On any vehicle that old you should expect to do some serious servicing and other repairs to get it where you want it. If it was already hooked up, you could be paying 3 times as much. A grand isn't a bad price for any 4x4 that runs. The biggest issue with Scouts is rust. They all have some somewhere. Floor pans, gas tanks, inner fender/firewall mateing, fenders, top drip rail...pretty much anywhere moisture will collect. If you are just looking for a god hunting rig all you really need is a motor, trans, transfer case and a heater...and that they all work. Good luck!