Thread: replacement seats question

Default replacement seats question

First time poster here. I apologize in advance if this is a beat to death kind of topic but I have spent the last several days researching these forums as well as other binder forums and the internet in general trying to find out seat replacement options. I bought a 1977 scout II and the previous owner added racing buckets that are extremely uncomfortable and are both different colors to boot. He mentioned that he replaced the rails when he got the new seats and that they would fit just about anything. I am digging through a stack of receipts he provided trying to find one for the rails to get product info.

As I understand there are a few common seat replacement options in mustangs, astros and caravans among others but my question is would you also be able to use the rails from the donor cars or would it be probable that I could use the ones in place considering the aftermarket seats already present?

Thank you all in advance for any insight or information you can provide!

No real advice because I havnt tackled this project yet but I have the original seats and want to get shoulder seat belts. One idea I have is to replace with seats from 99 on up silverado or any full size GM truck. The seat belts are completely built in.

Check out seats for a PT cruiser or a Chevy Trailblazer. Scouts aren't as wide as a full size pick up truck. I have also seen Ford Ranger and Explorer seats made to work in a Scout, and IIRC, some of those seats have the seat belts integrated into the seat.

Anything can me made to work, but these are what I have seen from other members that fit with the least amount of work.

Good Luck!

Of course, you need to fix the rusty floor when you anchor in the new seats. Seems like most of the scouts I've bought in Arizona had rust under the factory carpet/mat from spills, even when the outer body had none at all.

I like the idea of using a mini-truck or other vehicle with the shoulder belts integrated into the seats. We're looking for that for the travelall right now. There is a 1/4-20 hole in the frame above the passenger door, but I rolled a travelall down an embankment off Interstate 17 once. Not wearing a seat belt saved my life, because I laid down on the seat and tried to crawl under the heater. The top collapses quite nicely. Had I been wearing even the lap belt, I would have been decapitated, or at least had a broken back/neck.

Ideally, you want a roll bar in that scout, and use the roll bar as the anchor point for the shoulder harness. If you get knocked over in an accident, that top is not designed to handle the weight of the scout, especially the fiberglass top on the traveller.

I'm not saying don't get the good seats. It's an excellent idea for the same reason new vehicles have them. Factory scout seats aren't that great by today's standards anyway. I'm saying shoulder harnesses are a death trap in a rollover unless the roof is somehow reinforced. In an off-road vehicle, it simply makes sense.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks for all the input and suggestions fellas. Gonna start puttering around the junkyards and see what I can find. I would agree that finding a seat with a built in 3 point belt would be ideal!

Hey Allan, in that roll over did you have the factory style roll bar or nothing at all? Just curious I added a factory style roll bar which in my opinion is not a substitue for a safetly cage. I do however think it might help stop the roll before getting completely upside down . depending of course on speed angle pitch and all. I really like the idea of the integrated seatbelts for ingress and egress from the back seats. Nice to get that seat belt junk off the floor and cleaned up. Not sure the Silverado seats would fit. I didnt think they were that much bigger but I guess before purchasing I would need to measure. no one has said it here but at home when I talk about it people him and haw and say you need to upgrade the hardware. My response, duh. If there are any other seats with the belts integrated that would be awesome. These are the only I know of.

Trailblazer seats also have a completely built in seatbelt, I will have to get some measurements.

or instead of them being in the seat, why not search over on binderplanet on how to install a shoulder belt that is attached to the roll bar. Way cheaper then trying to fit new seats.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Mainly because I can get a pair of silverado seats for 150 and not have belts in the way when trying to get to the back seats.

Quote Originally Posted by jtl1100 View Post
    Hey Allan, in that roll over did you have the factory style roll bar or nothing at all? Just curious I added a factory style roll bar which in my opinion is not a substitue for a safetly cage. I do however think it might help stop the roll before getting completely upside down . depending of course on speed angle pitch and all. I really like the idea of the integrated seatbelts for ingress and egress from the back seats. Nice to get that seat belt junk off the floor and cleaned up. Not sure the Silverado seats would fit. I didnt think they were that much bigger but I guess before purchasing I would need to measure. no one has said it here but at home when I talk about it people him and haw and say you need to upgrade the hardware. My response, duh. If there are any other seats with the belts integrated that would be awesome. These are the only I know of.
    Remember, I was in a travelall. No factory roll bar option available. I could have put one in. It would not be difficult to mount one right behind the driver's seat, and another one right behind the passenger seat in either a C or D style travelall.

The factory roll bar is fine for the driver on a scout, and if you use the factory location for mounting, it is not a stretch to see it as a good place to add a shoulder harness mounting point. The rear mounts to the standard roll bar can be re-routed to about the same place, just shaped differently for a cage.

I believe a cage is a better option also. It's the front cage mount that's difficult on a scout due to the location of the e-brake and window crank handle. I'm not convinced that it's necessary, because you could extend the bar that's above the driver's seat into a circle rather than straight across, gusset it, and get some protection above the driver's head, closer to the visors.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak