Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 79 Scout II Brake Caliper ?

Default 79 Scout II Brake Caliper ?

My son is in the middle of replacing the pads and rotors on his new Scout.
    How does one get the caliper off to replce teh pads adn rotor. I've done this on many cars & trucks and usually there are 2 bolts and you just loosen one and remove the other and the caliper swings away.

The scouts are different in how the caliper gets removed.

First remove the bolt, it's a Allen head, then pound the pin with holding clip out. The caliper can then be pulled off and removed.

Here's a link to a photo posting process:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=86884

First remove the allen head bolt that is on the bottom of the caliper. Then pound out the pin, be sure to save or replace the small springs that will fall out one you get that pin out and the caliper starts to move.

HTH

Sorry for the duplicate post if my first one ever shows up. My original response wasn't showing up for some odd reason.

Here's a link to the picture posting of another thread:
    http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=86884

Thanks.
    Figured that part out.
    I assume you mean the small spring that holds the pad in. In my case that one fell out in 2 pieces.
    Now I assume I've got to take off the locking hub portion to get the rotor off.
    Sorry for the questions but my manuals aren't here yet.

The spring I was talking about was a long flat spring with two tabs that fit between the caliper and mounting bracket. They are there to prevent the caliper from completely freezing into place. Replacements can be found through NAPA, but get the counter guy to use the "book" as it is not immediately available in the computer.

To remove the hub, you need to pull the locking cap off, then remove the bearing retaining nut and pull the whole hub assembly off. Be sure you get new bearing seals and get those replaced while you have it off. This is a good time to check your bearings and get them re-greased as well. The socket you will need is a 2-1/16" thin wall socket IIRC. I was able to get a 2-1/8" from Napa and get it to work.

To get the hub and rotor separated, you need to push the wheel studs out with a large mallet or press. Be sure to have an old nut on there to prevent damage to the threads. You can press them back in once the rotor is in place. Having the hub up on a 2x4 prevents damage when pounding the studs back in.

Thanks.
    Off to NAPA

Flippin $65 2 1/8" socket from NAPA. The Sears 2 1/8" isn't deep enough.

Wow, prices have come up since I got mine. It was $25 here last year this time when I did a similar job on my '74.

Good luck, they do have a good return program over there; just clean it up nice when yer done...

Unfortunately, the 2 1/8" NAPA socket was a standard and not deep enough. ???? They did not offer a deep well 2 1/8".
    I ordered a 2 3/32 nut spindle socket.
    As well, Auto Zone, Pep Boys and Checker had nothing.
    This has turned into a total PITA!

Can someone give me a definitive answer on the correct socket size for the hub retaining nut?
    Baldscout seems sure it's 2 1/16" but on the Binder Planet site they are sure it's 2 3/32".
    I found both at MacMaster-Carr.
    TIA.

Brian