Thread: starting prolbems

Post starting prolbems

newbie here, have a 79 scout sometimes will start other times completly dead,just started this in the last week. I checked voltage, battery side of solenoid 12.7v.Check switch side of solenoid ,turn key get 9.6v. also when it's dead and you turn key you can hear auto trans relay click under dash.Could it be the neutral safety switch? if so how do you check.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by r walton View Post
    newbie here, have a 79 scout sometimes will start other times completly dead,just started this in the last week. I checked voltage, battery side of solenoid 12.7v.Check switch side of solenoid ,turn key get 9.6v. also when it's dead and you turn key you can hear auto trans relay click under dash.Could it be the neutral safety switch? if so how do you check.thanks
    If you're dropping to 9.6 when starting, you have a battery that's not holding a charge very well or you have a starter solenoid that's sticking badly. You might just have bad battery cables.

1. Check your cables. One of the things you can do is make that same measurement from BAT (-) to ground, and also from BAT (+) to the starter B terminal where the battery cable is connected. Got voltage? More than 0.1 volt means bad cables.
    2. Load test the battery. If you can jump start when this happens, chances are your battery is just weak.
    3. If the battery is good and the cables are good, you have a bad starter. My money is on the battery or cables, but I did have a starter that did this once.

While you're in there, rig up a remote solenoid setup. Worth every penny.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I'm fixing *my* starter this weekend. What is this remote soleniod setup? Is it the Ford solenoid setup? Where can I get the info on it?

Thanks!

N/M I found a thread that described the F*rd remote starter setup. I am thinking they are one and the same.
    Last edited by Scorp1us; 06-17-2009 at 04:55 PM.