Thread: Skyjacker 4" lift on a '78 Scout

Unhappy Skyjacker 4" lift on a '78 Scout

HELP!!!!
    I installed a Skyjacker 4" lift on my '78 Scout (Danna 44's front and rear) and have had nothing but problems since. The first problem was that the angle of the front drive shaft was too steep and it was put in a bind. I had a new axle housing installed and the mounts were welded to give the proper angle for the drive shaft to go into the pumpkin. NOW the angle is STILL wrong at the transfer case end and if I go over 20 mph in 4WD, the vibration is Really bad. One shop says that my transfer case has bad bearings. Another shop, with more experience with Scouts, says its the angle.
    I'm to the point that I want to just put the stock springs back on. The problem there is my 32x10.50 tires will rub. I've spent the last 5 years getting this Scout restored to where I like it (custom winch bumper, winch, warn hubs, Detroit locker and Trutrac, floor pans, body work, seats, lining, stereo, etc) and I retire later this year and want to go play with it. SOMEONE PLEEEEEESSSE HELP!!!!!

If the scout is tracking properly on the highway, your caster is correct, anyway.

Did you have the front axle cut and turned so that the yoke is pointed more toward the t-case, or just shim the perches?

You may need to go to a CV joint on the front driveshaft. U-joints are not made to run at more than about 7 degrees.

Has the front shaft been balanced? Before you do something expensive, driveshafts must be balanced or they will vibrate. Generally speaking, it's not an issue for most people because they don't run 4wd at any kind of speed. Is the slip yoke in good shape? New u-joints?

If so, put the scout up on jackstands and look. Where is the vibration coming from? NOTE: Do not take any chances. Good quality jack stands, or better yet, get it up on a lift. Dead is forever.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Installing a normal 4" spring lift will not affect the angle of the drive shaft. Now, if you decided to weld those perches on top of the tube and do spring over, then yes, you are in a world of hurt and need to get a custom drive shaft made or go CV like Allen said. Also, if you did go spring over, would suggest cutting the tube and turning the pumpkin to get the proper angle verses angling the spring perches.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Smile

First, thanks for the fast reply to my problem.
    My Scout tracks true down the hwy and does not pull left or right. When we put the new axle housing on, the mounts were cut and turned to turn the yoke towards the t-case. The angle looks good. The upper angle looks a little steep though (at least one of my mechanics thinks so). The axle is mounted just like the stock one. He also tried to use a CV joint on the front, but the knuckle was too large and rubbed on the tranny housing.
    My mechanic wanted me to mention that when the vibration starts I can "feather the throttle" some and it will go away until I got back into it.
    I have Dana 44 axles with a Detroit locker in the rear, and a TruTrac in front, 3:73 gears, Warn locking hubs, 32X10.50 Goodrich TA's on Cragar Soft 8 15x8 rims.
    The one thing I haven't checked is the balance on the front drive shaft. I had the rear one checked and it was good.
    I'll have the front DS checked next week.

Thanks again,
    Larry S
    Owasso OK
    1978 Scout II
    1970 Scout 800 Aristocrat

First, thanks for the fast reply to my problem.
    My Scout tracks true down the hwy and does not pull left or right. When we put the new axle housing on, the mounts were cut and turned to turn the yoke towards the t-case. The angle looks good. The upper angle looks a little steep though (at least one of my mechanics thinks so). The axle is mounted just like the stock one. He also tried to use a CV joint on the front, but the knuckle was too large and rubbed on the tranny housing.
    My mechanic wanted me to mention that when the vibration starts I can "feather the throttle" some and it will go away until I got back into it.
    I have Dana 44 axles with a Detroit locker in the rear, and a TruTrac in front, 3:73 gears, Warn locking hubs, 32X10.50 Goodrich TA's on Cragar Soft 8 15x8 rims.
    The one thing I haven't checked is the balance on the front drive shaft. I had the rear one checked and it was good.
    I'll have the front DS checked next week.

Thanks again,
    Larry S
    Owasso OK
    1978 Scout II
    1970 Scout 800 Aristocrat