Thread: Gauges do not work

Default Gauges do not work

On my 79 the ammeter, fuel level, water temp and oil pressure guages are nearly useless. Shorted the fuelsender wire and it showed half a tank. The others don't real move except the ammeter which is pretty much always verticle. I have found that there is a voltage regulator on the guages that may fail although I havnt seen the part individually just the whole guage rebuilt and expensive. How can I test the guages before I start a complete rewire of the vehicle harness?

Ground them like you did the other, if they move when grounded your gauges are good which means you look into the sender.
    The device you are talking about is CVR which is on the back of the temp guage. If it goes bad the gauge will go bad, so a new CVR will need to be install, which could prove tricky since NAPA no longer carries them.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Don't just ground it out, you'll burn out the sending unit! You need to put a 10ohm resister in line before you ground it!!!

You can build a new electronic CVR if yours tests faulty. There was a link to doing that in the old faq of binderbulletin. I think it is now in the wiki on binderplanet.

There are also several threads to how to test the gauges, here is a link to one:
    http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=79908

Don't just ground it out, you'll burn out the sending unit! You need to put a 10ohm resister in line before you ground it!!!

You can build a new electronic CVR if yours tests faulty. There was a link to doing that in the old faq of binderbulletin. I think it is now in the wiki on binderplanet.

The full 5 volts average from the CVR will not damage the gauge. At 10 ohms, it goes to the top line. It won't peg hard enough in a few minutes to matter. Once you've grounded it, you look, the needle moves or doesn't move, you note whether it's full scale or not, and you turn off the key. No harm will come unless the gauges were already pegged, in which case you weren't doing this test in the first place.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak