Thread: Power brakes is a 73?

Default Power brakes is a 73?

Can you put power brakes in a 73? Would you just need to get a power booster for a newer year or would it be more complicated than that?

Im actually doing this atm, I got a donor 75 to take the D44 with disc brakes and brake booster to add to mine that only has a d30 with drum brakes. i (Believe) someone correct me if im wrong because im trying to do it haha is add the brake booster behind ur master cyllinder, and you will also need the little valve thingy that bolts onto the drivers side inner fender.

If anyone has more input to add it would be very appreciated :P
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

yes you can put front power breaks on your 73. just take the knuckles and everyting forward with you. Break line, proportioning vavle (probably going to need adjustable) and mastercylinder and booster.

A thought here, since you are going to all this trouble, why not spend alittle more money and little more time and install a hydro-boost system?
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

What work all goes into installing the hydro boost system... Im going overkill on all my stuff so i figure iw ill probally end up doing the hydroboost upgrade.

And where is it cheapest? (anyone that has bought it and priced around)

Thanks guys
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

Master cylinders are different between disc and drum. If you get the booster off the SII, get the master cylinder at the same time.

Hydroboost parts can be obtained from an Astro-Van. You need a power steering pump, so if you don't have power steering, you'll need to at least add the pump and bracket. Otherwise, you just plumb it in series with the hydroboost.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Do you have to convert to disc brakes on the front to install a power booster or can you leave it as drums?

You can install a power booster without switching to drums. Sometimes the master cylinders are a little different and are supposed to be used with the booster. I think it has something to do with the spring inside or something, or maybe the rear seal on the master cylinder. I believe you can buy the whole combination unit, at least a rebuild. I would go to the junkyard and pull something that can be used as a core, though.

I'm told chevy units will bolt on. Try a 69 chevy pickup, which is drums all around. The primary difference is the actuating rod, which I think can be replaced if you know how. There are common units that are similar enough that they will work. The bolt patterns for the master cylinders are standardized. However, many of the boosters need a bracket to install them, as the holes are not drilled into the firewall. You should be able to figure this out by looking if you pull the old master cylinder and make some measurements, like firewall to pedal, bolt hole alignment, and the size of the hole in the firewall.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Sweet, thanks for the good info. I am sure I will eventually go discs in front but when I do that I will replace the dana 30 with a 44.

I am building a 74/72 Scout for a friend and just purchased a rebuilt booster and M/C assembly from NAPA it was about $183.00 plus core of abour $35.00. You will need to get the linkage and brackets from a junk yard. Pickup or Travelall parts might work also. You might get lucky and find a good booster with M/C. On the units I worked with the M/Cs were different and I was concerned there may be a difference between drum brakes and power on the M/C but the parts catalog made no reference to there being a difference. The one I took out had 2 different size reservoirs like a M/C for disc brakes and on the replacement they were the same size.