Thread: Starter??

Default Starter??

OK, one of these days I'll get my act together and be able to provide info instread of asking for it.
    I've been driving the SII (1979 / 345 / Auto) all day with no issues. Go into a store and come out 20mins later and turn the key and get a sound like a "sprooiiinng". Still have power everywhere but no starter. I'm used to the dead starter "Click - Click".
    Call my forgiving wife who comes to the rescue and as soon as we hook up the jumpers and hit the key Bada-Bing V8 noise!

Vitals:
    New battery (less than 30 days old)
    Alt charging @ 14.1v
    Battery @ 13v w/key off

Diagnosis/Comments?

TIA
    Brian

Check your firewall plugs, thats what happened to my Scout...I'm in the process of rewiring the damn thing.
    Check 'em before its too late, also check your starter selinoid.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Quote Originally Posted by okkool77 View Post
    Check your firewall plugs, thats what happened to my Scout...I'm in the process of rewiring the damn thing.
    Check 'em before its too late, also check your starter selinoid.
    I don't think the wiring is it, because the starter spun (sproinged is the technical term ), but did not engage. That means the signal was getting to the solenoid, the solenoid was doing its job, but the gear on the starter was not engaging the flywheel. Worn teeth or a worn bushing.

The problem is in the starter, probably just worn, and it engaged just fine when the starter cooled off.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Hmm .... the "sprooiinng" actually sounded like it came from behind my dashboard.
    Does this change the diagnosis?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnduc View Post
    Hmm .... the "sprooiinng" actually sounded like it came from behind my dashboard.
    Does this change the diagnosis?
    There's a relay back there. If the relay was chattering, it could be defective. Never saw one chatter except from low voltage. That means bad cables or a bad battery or a starter that was dragging the battery way down. I would check the battery, have it load tested. A loose connection at the battery cable (either end, either cable) would cause this, too.

If you're into the starter anyway, I strongly recommend you install a ford solenoid setup. The S wire is weak on scouts, and it gives you a more reliable connection. It also kills power when you let go of the switch, so the starter can't stick in the "turn" position and keep running. Automotive electrical systems all used to use that starter as a terminal to feed the rest of the system. IMO, a very poor design. Less than 20 bucks and the design is fixed.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak