Thread: SOA questions

Default SOA questions

I searched and couildn't find a definite answer. I am looking at getting a 73 scout 2 that someone has put a SOA (spring over axle) lift on. The person that did it rotated the axle forward to line up the driveline better but instead made the steering worse. Now the steering knuckles are rotated forward. My question is with a SOA lift do the knuckles need to be cut and turned or will I be able to just cut off the perches, rotate the axle back and weld them back on without any driveline problems?

Quote Originally Posted by turnkyle View Post
    I searched and couildn't find a definite answer. I am looking at getting a 73 scout 2 that someone has put a SOA (spring over axle) lift on. The person that did it rotated the axle forward to line up the driveline better but instead made the steering worse. Now the steering knuckles are rotated forward. My question is with a SOA lift do the knuckles need to be cut and turned or will I be able to just cut off the perches, rotate the axle back and weld them back on without any driveline problems?
    The SOA, done correctly, is done in steps.

1. Get the hardware, do the grinding on the housing so that you can install a perch, install top perches, and get the thing installed. (lots of sub-steps I left out, did you notice?)
    2. Measure pinion angle and caster angle. Both of these matter.
    3. Remove axle, remove guts so that all you have left is the housing, have cuts and new welds made on the knuckles and at the pinion so that you end up with both measurements correct. Pinion angle matters to prevent binding of the u-joints. Caster angle matters because the vehicle has to track.
    4. Install axle housing.
    5. Reinstall guts, axle shafts, and realign gears, etc.
    6. Install steering components, has to be re-done due to new geometry.

Those are the basics. You can do step 3 by doing caster first, then pinion angle, but remember that the perches have to be correct in the first place. Either way, you have to think it through before you do it, or you'll end up not being able to drive the scout.

Another way is to pull the axles off of a blazer or suburban. Wider, but the fronts bolt on. So do the front axles from 74/75 IH pickups and travelalls. Instant springover. The IH stuff is nice because you can still use scout outers.

No matter what, it's a lot of work.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

So you are saying in order to prevent driveline problems you have to cut and turn the knuckles?

Do you just need to find an axle that has the diff on the passenger side or are there some axles that work easier than others?