Thread: Lost title application in TX

Default Lost title application in TX

Anyone on here do a lost title app in TX and if so, besides going to the "DMV", can you lend any advice? I would like to have a little knowledge before I walk in and get the run-around.

Each state varies greatly.

Some states allow a "bonded title" application. Some have that as well as alternate "temporary" title applications.

The DMV can do a search to see if the vehicle is stolen or currently registered elsewhere. I strongly recommend it. I hope you got a bill of sale for it.

Bite the bullet and do it through the system.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks again Allan. I did a search for bonded title, seems pretty in depth job but it is a job that needs to be done. I may just bite the grenade and pay a company to go thru all the hassle for me!!

I found the Dallas county Tax office very helpful via phone. Not sure where in Tx you are but I would start by calling the tax office...if you are in Dallas the info is here

Sorry I cant post links...but google dallas tx vehicle title

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Thanks again Allan. I did a search for bonded title, seems pretty in depth job but it is a job that needs to be done. I may just bite the grenade and pay a company to go thru all the hassle for me!!
    Break it down into parts.

1. What documents do I need?
    2. Who gets the documents, and what forms go with it.
    3. What is the inspection required. Most likely they'll want to check the VIN visually.

I think you'll find that it's not as tough as it looks.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Hey I too live in TX and just went through a similar situation. Got a solution that worked very well for me (and another friend with a 28 ford).

Go to Broadway Title out of Birmingham, AL. at:

broadwaytitle.com

Esentually, you pay them ~$149 and give them a notorized bill of sale. They inturn register it in AL (which dont have titles for pre-74 vehicles). After they get the paper work back Alabama tax office, they then give you a bill of sale back. You then take it to the TX tax office and register it as an AL vehicle you just bought (b/c that's what you just did).

Side notes: It has to be YOUR vehicle and not a stolen/salvage vehicle. This is a legit system so nobody mess this up by trying to undermind another person's vehicle! Also, check with the TX office prior to doing this and make sure its not reported stolen, etc.

This worked great for me and takes 2-4 weeks for them to process through the alabama tax office.
    Stoner
    66 Scout 800 (RH Steer)
    Chrysler 360/727 with 203/205 Doubler
    Dana44/60 with H1 Tires/Rims

Mine is a 74...

Check the web page. The cut-off is in the mid-70s. Cant remember exactly what year. I think you may still be able to do it with the 74.
    Stoner
    66 Scout 800 (RH Steer)
    Chrysler 360/727 with 203/205 Doubler
    Dana44/60 with H1 Tires/Rims

I will check it out...