Thread: Hub assembly / Rotors

Default Hub assembly / Rotors

Im still in the process of rebuilding my axle (slowly but surely) and i just purchased new : Rotors, Hub assemblys, and studs.

Anyone who has done this before.. How do i attach the rotors to the hubs.. do i just hammer the studs in? Or should i take a lug nut and get a break bar to tighten those until i cant anymore?

I just dont want to break my nice new parts is all :P and ive never done any of this stuff before.

Thanks Guys
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

I use thread sealer and the lug nut method. The sealer acts as a lubricant as you pull the studs through the holes. Watch that you don't try to pull them in too far. Tightening them so they look tight is enough. Putting the wheel on will snug them the rest of the way, and the holes in the wheel give a better surface to the lug nut. I used washers to compensate for the taper on the lug nut, but I suppose you could just use flat nuts or even turn the lug nut backwards.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Yeah thats what i thought, What would constitutte overtightened? Dont you just want the studs to be flush against the back of the rotor? And what happends when they are overtightened... ?

Also, as i was looking at my old hub assembly vs the new one.. Theres alot of items inside it that i dont have in the new one lol obviosly since i havnt put them in.. Besides the wheel seal and the wheel bearing.. what else needs to go in there? And what are the washers called that go over the bearing inside the hub assembly.. ? Am i just talking about spindle nuts and washers? Cause i bought new ones of those haha

And does anyone know where to find a really comprehensive diagram of a D44 hub assembly.. Or pretty much everything on each side lol
    And.. for that matter a diagram of the Dif would be nice, Or just the whole axle Lol I know i know ill need it eventually :P

Thanks again for all your help Guys, Much appreciated.
    Last edited by WarlordX; 06-18-2009 at 08:23 AM.
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.