Thread: spring over conv

CLEMENTSVILLE KY BETWEEN LIBERTY AND CAMPBELLSVILLE

Default spring over conv

i have a 77 terra w d44 front and rear and want to get a 4-6 '' lift what do i need to do a spring over and how hard would it be

Petersons 4wheel & offroad did a nice article on SOA conversion on a 77 ScoutII back in October of 1999. that gave a nice overall of what it takes.

(I'm currently in process of doing this myself on my 800, but I aint finished...so I best not give any advise myself)

Also dandcextreme web page give really nice details on some scout build ups too.
    Stoner
    66 Scout 800 (RH Steer)
    Chrysler 360/727 with 203/205 Doubler
    Dana44/60 with H1 Tires/Rims

Quote Originally Posted by dwethington View Post
    i have a 77 terra w d44 front and rear and want to get a 4-6 '' lift what do i need to do a spring over and how hard would it be
    not super hard, seems like a lot of little stuff. The hardest part, witch I am fixing right now is the front housing. you have to cut into the cast part of the housing and build a perch there. There is things that you should do that I didn't (the cut and turn)and now I have mine back apart.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutguy66 View Post
    not super hard, seems like a lot of little stuff. The hardest part, witch I am fixing right now is the front housing. you have to cut into the cast part of the housing and build a perch there. There is things that you should do that I didn't (the cut and turn)and now I have mine back apart.
    You have to put the axle on in order to determine the exact amount of cut and turn, so don't think you're doing it wrong. You may have added a few steps while you worked through it, but you were going to do that part anyway because every set of springs and shackles is different. There's no way to "kit" the job unless it includes springs, shackles, and hangers in a specific spot. Even then, 1/2" can make a significant difference.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

This is how I made the spring perch the last time. I am going to be grinding that down and changing the angle soon but it worked good for a while.