Thread: international 400

Default international 400

i looked on craigslist and i found a international 400ci gas engine for sale, i was wondering what everyone knows about this engine, and would it be ok to rebuild it and put it in a scout 800?

Default International 400

If it's really an 'International 400' it's either from an IH 400 tractor, or it's an AMC 401, which IH called the 400. The AMC engine will fit wherever the AMC six was originally, but to put it in a Scout that had an IH SV V-8 or four cylinder in it will take new mounts and quite a bit of work.

ah ok thanks

Default IH 400 engine

If the thing runs, and it's in fact an AMC 401 and you can buy it right, it may be a good way to leverage some funds to buy a real IH engine! The 401 is in demand by jeep guys and the AMC muscle car types.

Oh no that engine has been sitting for years guy said it doesnt run, but i found a nice 345 in my neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by scoutboy66 View Post
    Oh no that engine has been sitting for years guy said it doesnt run, but i found a nice 345 in my neighborhood
    The 345 will not fit in a 66 Scout 800 without serious body lift and other modifications.

It has been done, but it's not a simple engine swap. It's all about the clearance. The steering column has to be moved and all sorts of things.

There is an IH gas engine that is a 401, so IH called the AMC 401 a 400. Maybe I have that backwards, because it's Monday... anyway...

It was used in travelalls in the 70s because there was a shortage of 392 engines, which were needed for Loadstars and other medium duty trucks. The AMC was used because IH had a relationship with AMC already and the transmissions could be ordered easily. Anyway, the IH 401 is an MV series engine, somewhat larger than a 392, and not suitable for light line use. I much prefer the 392 for use in a dump truck or school bus.
    Last edited by Allan E.; 06-22-2009 at 03:59 AM.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak