Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IH 345 in scout 800

Default IH 345 in scout 800

hello all im thinking of buying a 345 v-8 for my scout and buy the bell housing for the 4 speed also, i talked to the guy and the engine and bell housing are out of a i think... a mid to late 70s 4x4 pick up truck. it has a 4 speed in it right now, but will that bell housing out of that year of truck fit into a early 4 speed (T-18-B) and to put a v-8 in there i know alot has to be done, but what all has to be done to get it in there? its out of a 75 pick up
    Last edited by scoutboy66; 06-21-2009 at 03:39 AM.

Default compatibility

The two biggest issues for installing this engine into a Scout will be the oil pan and the exhaust manifolds. A lesser demon will be air cleaner-to hood clearance.

If the engine is a 1974/75 vintage it will have the rear (double) sump pan and will be OK for use in a Scout. If it is from a 1958-73 truck it will have a front (single) sump and the sump will hit the differential. You can move a Scout oil pump, pickup and pan to a truck engine and use it as long as it is drilled for Scout engine mount brackets. Most later SV engines are drilled for truck and Scout mounts, most of the earlier v8s are not.

The 74/75 truck engine will also have rear dump exhaust manifolds which must be removed and replaced with center dump exhaust manifolds. The rear dump manifolds are hard to find and they can be turned over for $ if they are OK.

The relatively taller block of the 345 will cause the air cleaner to contact the hood and a slight body lift may be necessary. If your body mounts and bushings are shot it will be worse because the body will have slumped over the frame/engine somewhat.

The bellhousing will work in the Scout, but you will need to get all of the clutch (throwout bearing and sleeve/pressure plate) items matched to ensure that your clutch will disengage properly.

Keep in mind that if you are not reusing your Scout transmission you will need to make sure the donor is drilled for a mated transfer case. I wasn't sure from your post if the T18 is the style already drilled out for that or not. A 4wd Scout T18 is already drilled for that and has a D20 adapter plate that doubles as the rear bearing retainer. A truck T18 is not set up for that and is too much trouble to back engineer.

yeah, i have the 4 speed just sitting right now, its not put into the scout just yet, right now i have a three speed and such, so from what i understand sice the engine is from a 75 truck the 2 things i should mostly worry about is the air cleaner clearence, and the manifolds, but because they are center stlye like you said i could trade it for ones that will fit my scout.

oh i also have another question, i remember hearing something about i may have to move the firewalls?? if so how much should i?? and how should i?

The 66 scout won't take a 345 without major surgery. It has the same engine compartment as a Scout 80. Since you didn't say, I'm guessing that your name implies the year of the scout. IH changed the engine compartment by moving the steering column outside the frame rail and re-shaping the sheet metal completely for the V8 800s starting in 67 (not an option in 66). Then they used up the rest of the 4 cyl equipped bodies, so if you had a 4 cyl engine, you still got the old style for a while.

It has been done, but it's a major undertaking, not just a little hammering.

The JustIH.org site has a dedicated 80/800 section that's probably the best on the net.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

yes thanks, it kinda sucks cause its summer and my scout it all stripped for the summer, but i may start on the modifications now so that way i spend a few weeks on the engine, and i can get it all done before school starts, thats what a really am focusing of, getting it done my early augest

Default swap

Sorry for some reason I assumed that you already had a v8 in there. I didn't notice the '66' in your user name. v8s came in 1967-71 Scout 800s. A v8 can be done without major sheetmetal work but it will need major frame, engine mount and body to frame mount work. Absolutely no firewall work needs to be done. You would need to cut out your radiator core support and reconfigure it (along with securing a v8 radiator and fan shroud). You would need to cut out a hole in your driver's inner fender for a relocated v8 steering column, also need to find one of those columns. You would need to cut out and move forward your front frame crossmember. You would need to fabricate new engine mounts for the 345. You would need to fabricate new body to frame mounts, and frame to body mounts! Each individual operation isn't hard, it is just all of them together are a real pain in the ass and would take time. I would find it difficult to get all that done by August, and I know exactly what needs to be done.

It might be better to find a v8 frame and do the sheetmetal work on your tub. All of the frame related issues would be covered and you could concentrate on modifying your tub and doing safety upgrades (like eliminating that single pot MC).

ok so what i need is to maybe see if i could cut the engine mounts off a doner vehicle, and weld them onto my frame, ( i have all the cutting tools welder etc for the frame mod task.) move the radiator support forward, and throw a body lift kit on there to raise it for the engine. would a scout II body lift kit work for the scout 800 body bushings?

Default 345 swap

I will take a pic of a bare v8 800 frame which shows where the front crossmember and engine mounts go. I must reaffirm that it will be extremely difficult to complete this conversion before August even if you have all of the parts.

thanks that would be helpful, i think i might get it dine cause i have very very large amounts of time, like 4-5 hours a day every day till the end of august... (cause school is out)