Thread: Scout 800 heater hoses

Default Scout 800 heater hoses

Greetings everyone!

I'm a brand new Scout Owner!! 1966 Scout 800 with a slant four. Not even sure what displacement yet....the girlfriend saw a "cute little truck"....I have other classics, and this was enough of an endorsement for me!! We bought it as her first project vehicle!!! She is already excited to drive it to our local cruise night!!!

As with any new purchase, we have already discovered enough problems to keep me busy for weeks, but I think I'll start with a simple one first:

The heater is disconnected....I easily identified the heater core, but am not sure which is inlet and outlet....also, there is a connection on the water pump, and one on the thermostat housing....So the question is, what is the correct routing of hoses? Any pictures would be great....

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the wide world of binders.

The 4 cyl engines in early scouts was a 152. This was later replaced by a 196.

Heater cores aren't really polarized. My personal preference is to have the flow control valve (temp) on the INLET side, which is the pressurized output into the heater core. This means it takes longer for the coolant to heat up the core when the heater is off and there is (supposedly) no flow. I actually prefer to also put a second valve in the system on the other side of the core for summer isolation, but that's a different story.

Congratulations on your new find.

You might also try the www.justih.org club website. They have an excellent Scout 80/800 section. They're a club out of Spokane, WA. What you'll find is that most scout owners, once they get on the net, visit several related sites on a regular basis in order to get a better exchange of ideas.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

OK, that's very helpful!!!

So now I have another little mystery that your comments sparked....so on mine, there is a "valve" on the thermostat housing with a hose connector...I assumed this was an air bleed valve for the coolant until I saw the heater hose connector....now, am I right to say this is the temperature control flow valve? Is this the valve that is opened to allow coolant to flow to the heater core and control temp?

I ask this because there is a knob on my dash labelled, very simply, "T"...on my other cars this is for temperature, but on the scout, the cable is very poorly connected to the accelerator arm mechanism( the same one my throttle pedal is attached to) on the carb.....I therefore thought the "T" on the know stood for "throttle" but could not imagine what it was for....

SOOOOOOOOOOOO is the cable supposed to connect to the temperature control valve somehow, or is this some "throttle" adjustment knob?

VERY CURIOUS NOW!

Default T is for Throttle

You guessed right.T is the throttle.The valve on the thermostat housing "is the heater shut off .Basically the knob (pull-push)on the passenger side goes to the heater box which opens or closes a flapper that lets air run across the heater core.Twist that knob and the blower motor turns off and on.Like Allan said to get no residual heat coming from the heater core (at all )you will have to put another shut off valve on the other line.They never came with a cable or lever sytem that shuts off the water flow to the heater core,you adjust the temp by moving the knob on the passenger side( I mentioned earlier) in or out.That knob should have a F on it for fan.
    Last edited by JackJ; 06-22-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Forgot something

I would bet ten bucks the reason your heater core is disconnected is because it is no good.

HaHaHa ScoutMacGuy!!!!! My thoughts exactly!!!! I'll definitely pull it and check it out before I run new heater hoses!!!

And a HUGE thank you Jack J....Those knobs and their function have been driving me batty trying to figure them out!!

My gf and I are loving this project already! These little mechanical nuances she finds "quirky" and "interesting" so I get the green light to spend some money! Now THIS is living!!