Thread: Newbie with some questions

Talking Newbie with some questions

Hi, I only signed up recently, but I have been quitely reading all the threads for a while. So if you guys/girls don't mind I have a couple questions.

My girlfriend fell in love with International after she watched an episode of Xtreme 4X4 with me and she went looking all over for one. She found a lot of rotten/beater ones, but finally it looks like she found a good one that she wants to fix up, well more like she wants me to fix it up for her

Its a 1974 Scout II. It has a 4" lift with 33" M/T Baja Claws and Classic II wheels. It has numbers matching 345motor/727tranny/dana 20 T-case. The T-case needs some work as there is some serious "howling" coming from it, but the 4 wheel drive does work. It has 125K miles on it. The body is in great shape but for some rust in the quarter panels and front body mounts. It has a back seat with "custom" wood flooring, but the metal flooring looks good underneath. It comes with a hard top and the interior is in great shape and all the gauges work. It needs some re-wiring and it looks like the power steering is leaking really bad. The guy was asking $10K but we have gotten him down to about $8K, do ya'll think this is a good deal or is it too much? Thank you for your time

-Julian
    Last edited by Raptorguy21; 06-22-2009 at 05:27 AM.

Where abouts do you live? And for another thing, I personally won't pay over 2000 bones for a scout unless its in show condition.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

8k does seem a little high but i find skill to income ratio is a big factor. Depending on how good you are with body/mechanical work it could be worth your time to pay a little more/less because by the time you buy a cheap one and pay someone to fix it for you or buy all the tools/parts you need you payed just as much which you probably know from watching Xtreme. You just have to find a happy medium.

For 8 grand I would expect ZERO leaks, squeaks, rattles, howls or anything that needs to be replaced. It should be 100% functional for that much.

Just seeing if I can reply to the posts.....

Sweet now I can

Spoke too soon, my long post needs to be "approved" still
    Last edited by Raptorguy21; 06-24-2009 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by okkool77 View Post
    Where abouts do you live? And for another thing, I personally won't pay over 2000 bones for a scout unless its in show condition.
    El Paso, TX

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    8k does seem a little high but i find skill to income ratio is a big factor. Depending on how good you are with body/mechanical work it could be worth your time to pay a little more/less because by the time you buy a cheap one and pay someone to fix it for you or buy all the tools/parts you need you payed just as much which you probably know from watching Xtreme. You just have to find a happy medium.
    Well we are both very busy, but I am very mechanically inclined and I haven't done major body work, but some. I was just going to let a body shop take care of the rusted body mounts, but besides that, the truck is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    For 8 grand I would expect ZERO leaks, squeaks, rattles, howls or anything that needs to be replaced. It should be 100% functional for that much.
    what about 6500 or 7k?