Thread: Spacer placement

Default Spacer placement

Where can I get a detailed assembly manual for a 1968 304V8.

I can't remember where the water pump pulley spacers went and how. The spacer I have will not fit inside the p/s pulley? It looks like I may have two for the balancer? I may have misplaced the one for the water pump?

I also need the same info for the harmonic balancer. It looks like it should go... balancer, spacer, double pulley, spacer, weight, bolts?

I have a service manual but, it does not go into detail in the engine assembly section for either one of these applications.

Do I need a parts manual? Would it have exploded view showing the spacers?

Thanks,

Troubleall
    Last edited by troubleall; 06-24-2009 at 02:21 AM.

Default Just as I thought

No response? Why should I expect anything else from you guys.

GO JOHN DEERE, EVERYTHING IS BETTER GREEN!

When you say you have a service manual but it doesn't go into any detail, which one did you get? Because I purchessed one from Binderbooks and gives me everything I need down to the complete wiring diagrams and all of the pulley specs on the motors...
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

I assume the p/s stands for power steering; my '71 w/ 304A doesn't have and couldn't come with power steering. I also don't have a parts book that is correct for my vehicle, so any answer I give won't do you much good. Still, you asked, so here is a response from one of "you guys".
    BTW, if you had given a few more details or a better description, perhaps someone like me who doesn't know your particular situation might still have been able to make an educated guess. It's hard to analyze something that isn't understood fully. Maybe you tried; a picture often is better than words.

FWIW, I'm not mad or even offended; just offering some possibly useful advice. I (too?) have been frustrated during my life at least once or twice.

I can't tell you exactly how they go but I do know that they all have an F on then for front. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by troubleall View Post

GO JOHN DEERE, EVERYTHING IS BETTER GREEN!
    Funny, I didn't see this thread until today. No idea why.

The harmonic balancer goes first, just like any other V8 engine.

The other pulleys line up. The spacers are for you to line them up for different applications. There is no single "way" that this is done. It is done on a case by case basis for different applications. There can be some trial and error involved. This is also true when you add power steering, or add air conditioning, or whatever.

Year doesn't matter because the 304 was used in everything from Scout 800s to school busses in that year. The hardware is different, even though the engine is the same. This especially includes the water pump and oil pump pulleys. The basic configuration, much less advanced ones, changes between scout, pickup, and medium duty applications. So does oil pump, distributor, carb, and even spark plugs.

I noticed that your complaint about not getting an answer was 13 hours after your first post. You needed an answer in half a day or less and got upset when nobody knew the answer right away?

We don't work for the factory. IH hasn't made gas engines in over 25 years. We do the best we can for each other... for free... when we can.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default Spacers

Quote Originally Posted by troubleall View Post
    Where can I get a detailed assembly manual for a 1968 304V8.

I can't remember where the water pump pulley spacers went and how. The spacer I have will not fit inside the p/s pulley? It looks like I may have two for the balancer? I may have misplaced the one for the water pump?

I also need the same info for the harmonic balancer. It looks like it should go... balancer, spacer, double pulley, spacer, weight, bolts?

I have a service manual but, it does not go into detail in the engine assembly section for either one of these applications.

Do I need a parts manual? Would it have exploded view showing the spacers?

Thanks,

Troubleall
    Have you figured out the spacer Problem, if not I'll look at my manual or my scout