Thread: valve ADJUSTMENT?? really ?? valve noise

Default valve ADJUSTMENT?? really ?? valve noise

So I bought this 1968 800 with the 4 cyl eng. 196 had some rust issues and needed carb and dist adjust to get her to run but that was easy the big thing is a LOT of valve train noise. I figure pop off the valve cover and adjust the valves to the correct settings, right ? Well I got the cover off and look in the head and THERE AIN"T NO SCREWS FOR ADJUSTMENT... at the ends of the rockers it is peened over NO ADJUSTMENTS...okay so these sre hydra. maybe (I 'm not to wise about Scouts) but the set-up is clattering wildly , ..whats the next step for someone who always got to adjust the valves.??..pull the rocker arm shaft and inspect lifters ?>>out of my element here and need help..

Sounds like a few collapsed lifters have you checked them?

Check the oil level... if they don't pump up there may be an oiling issue or some clogged lifters.A really good engine oiling flush may be needed Or the cam is in really bad shape and the noise is the valve-train with too much slack in it, they only pump up so much. .

SEAFOAM it

an old school trick that has worked in the past,is,pour a qt.,of tranny fluid in the motor oil an drive it.it'll smoke,but also clean the lifters.get down to it,you shud replace the lifters.jeff

Quote Originally Posted by lymanyoung View Post
    So I bought this 1968 800 with the 4 cyl eng. 196 had some rust issues and needed carb and dist adjust to get her to run but that was easy the big thing is a LOT of valve train noise. I figure pop off the valve cover and adjust the valves to the correct settings, right ? Well I got the cover off and look in the head and THERE AIN"T NO SCREWS FOR ADJUSTMENT... at the ends of the rockers it is peened over NO ADJUSTMENTS...okay so these sre hydra. maybe (I 'm not to wise about Scouts) but the set-up is clattering wildly , ..whats the next step for someone who always got to adjust the valves.??..pull the rocker arm shaft and inspect lifters ?>>out of my element here and need help..
    Check your oil pressure first. Got oil on the rocker assemblies?

No adjustment on this engine. It's engineered with the adjustment already in it. It's why torque values are so important.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Hi All,
    New to this forum and renewing this thread as I have a similar issue perhaps?

196 4-cyl on my '70 800 started "popping" on load. Starts and idles very well, runs well in first, but putting it under load in 2nd or 3rd gear it has no power and backfires through carb.

We put in new distributor last year, with plugs and wires. More recently in response, checked/adjusted timing. brought it to a shop and they found broken push rod. We took it home and replaced rods and lifters. Noticed that two rockers don't have the same degree of movement when running as the others....front most cylinder and rear-most. Can't recall right now if one is exhaust valve, the other intake. There is no adjustment for these on the rocker arm.

Anyway, it starts right up, idles smoothly, runs smoothly in 1st gear. Can also rev up RPMs in neutral and doesn't seem to have the popping/backfiring. Definitely bad under load....no power, no speed, and constant backfire. From things I've read, most likely a timing issue. Other thoughts?

As mentioned,