Thread: Dana 60 6 lug to 8 lug

Default Dana 60 6 lug to 8 lug

Hello everybody, Just bought a 67' 1200d. the problem I have is that the front and rear axle wheel lug patterns do not match. the front is the 8 lug and the rear is the 6 lug. I would like to run 8 lug and would like to know if there is a way to swap the hubs from another interantional or other make to achieve this. The rear is the dana 60 and the front the D44. any help would be graetly appreciated. also anyone know where to get a rear parking nbrake cable for this truck???

Quote Originally Posted by rpmechanic6 View Post
    Hello everybody, Just bought a 67' 1200d. the problem I have is that the front and rear axle wheel lug patterns do not match. the front is the 8 lug and the rear is the 6 lug. I would like to run 8 lug and would like to know if there is a way to swap the hubs from another interantional or other make to achieve this. The rear is the dana 60 and the front the D44. any help would be graetly appreciated. also anyone know where to get a rear parking nbrake cable for this truck???
    The axle from a 69-73 IH model 1200 or 1210 will bolt right on to the rear. Easy swap, all you need is new u-bolts, and possibly some minor work on the brake lines. Actually, any ford or chevy or dodge 8 lug will work, but some of them have the spring perches in a different spot. That would require some grinding and welding.

If you have discs, the axle may be from a 74/75 IH model 200. It could also be from a blazer or suburban or even a dodge. Spring perch width is the same. If drums, the most likely donor is the trucks or travelalls I mentioned above.

Save the rear brake drums if they are still useable, and sell them to somebody who wants to keep the truck stock. They are very hard to find.

By the way, the 67 model is the 1200B. The 1200D was made in 69, and it has a square (D) body style and the 8 lug axles are stock. Prior to 69, the wheels were 6 lug and the body style was more rounded, what we call the "C" body style.
    Last edited by Allan E.; 06-26-2009 at 11:06 PM.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

thanks a bunch, currently looking for a replacement axle.