Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new guy thinking of entering the world of the scout

Default new guy thinking of entering the world of the scout

well I have been without a 4 wheel mode of transport for a few years now, and am thinking of picking up an old IH scout someone here has for sale and spending the summer getting it back into shape and ready for winter.

according to the seller it runs and the drive train is good (I will be finding out for myself in the next couple of days) but the body is rough.

I have been trying to give myself a crash course on these vehicles and reading all I can about them, but I am still having trouble figuring out which one the guy has for sale.

he says its a late 70's 4 cylinder (pics a few posts down)

any info anyone can give me would be great.

If I end up buying this I will be back here lurking and asking questions.

here is post number two

and now that I have a post count of 2 here are the pics

thats a scout II and if it has a 4 cylinder that the 196ci engine. that body looks very very rough, how much is the guy asking for it?

hes asking $200 I figure if it starts and moves it would be worth it, I got all summer to get it put together.

For $200 bones, snap that sucker up real quick if she runs. The body work is easy to deal with and they're fun as hell to drive.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

I'd agree there. 200 isn't bad at all, especially if it runs/drives. New floors (as long as you do them the right way) would fix the body-sag problem and they're not all that expensive.

And by the looks of it, I'd say it's somewhere in the '76-'78 range. They didn't start putting the 4-cylinders in Scout II's until the later years due to gas mileage and emissions crap that came along during that time.

yea i would get that! only 200$ thats a great deal, i would get her.

well I am going to be heading out there on Monday to take a look at it, and make sure the claims of it starting are true.

also, (this is going to sound like a noobie question) how do I tell if this scout has the DANA 44's v.s. the DANA 30's. or did all post '74s have the DANA 44's?
    Last edited by Vermonter; 06-27-2009 at 11:24 AM.