Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got a Scout 800 - Portland Ore.

Default Just got a Scout 800 - Portland Ore.

Hey there. Some time in April 2010 I joined this forum. I did some good research on this site. Thanks for the good posts and quality questions.

In May of this year I purchased a 1967 Scout 800.

On the day I brought it home.

It's a very clean Scout w/ typical rust issues where I expected to find them.

I scrubbed it down big time, because it had been living under a big fir tree for a few years.

As you can see it is very straight.

Since I took these shots, I have had to do several things to make it road worthy. I replaced the master cylinder (it has Scout II power brakes and front axle w/ disks), I replaced the flex brake line, new water pump, new batt. and cables, moved batt from drivers side to passangers side, did a tune up w/ the usual stuff. I built a simple exhaust (more tempoary than simple) and fixed the parking brake.

Now I dirve it to work several days a week and just love it.

It is a facotry V8 machine w/ a 345 now in it. It has the 4 speed manual w/ twin stick t-case. I think it has a posi rear end, but have not actually looked.

Rust issues inside are going to keep me busy this comming winter, but it's nothing I cant handel.

I look foward to updating this thread w/ progress shots and info on what I've been doing for my Scout 800.

I did attend the Binder Bee in Brooks this year, but I did not have my 800 in safe working condition yet, so I went w/out it.

Thanks.
    One800.
    1967 Scout 800 V8.

Where's the rust? As a Midwesterner I am confused...

Hahah. It's all a mirage. The rust is hidding within! Got some good rust forming benieth the door hinges on the inner kick pannels. Both rockers are bad. And the area just behind the door by the tanks will have to get worked on.

I bet it is hard to live in the salt zone and then see what others have to work with. Feel for ya brother.
    1967 Scout 800 V8.

How's the rust in the back, wheel wells and such? Do you know the model of the transfer case? I'm looking at one very similar to this, although it looks like yours has had more aftermarket work done to it. What a great project!

Its been a long time since I last added to this thread. I've been hard at work on the Scout trying to get it ready for this spring/summer of fun.

Here are some before and after pics of what I've repaired so far.

Passanger side quarter panel:

1967 Scout 800 V8.

Drivers side quarter panel:

1967 Scout 800 V8.

1967 Scout 800 V8.

Both the drivers side and passanger side door hing mounts were rotten. The fresh air vent dog house trapped loads of sand and mud in these two areas and helped destroy them. I decided to delet the fresh air vents to avoid this issue. If I want fresh air I'll take the top off.

Door hinge mounts:

1967 Scout 800 V8.

1967 Scout 800 V8.

I removed the vacume wipers and added electric wipers, and in doing this I redesigned the windshield vents to avoice the wiper arms.

Here are two images of my electric wiper conversion. I dont have an image of the final metal arms. These wooden connections are mock-ups as I tried to find the ideal connections. Once I settled on a design I fabed the shape out of steel.

1967 Scout 800 V8.