Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just got a Scout 800 - Portland Ore.

Here are some new images.

This is a photo of my Scout getting the Ace Hardware rattle can treatment. Also, I dropped the Scout 80 half top on just to see what it will look like. LOVE IT.

First Christmas tree in my Scout. LOVE IT.

These things look so damn TOUGH !! I just love looking at it.

Front and rear bumpers are now painted. I need to get some pics of that. They are silver.
    1967 Scout 800 V8.

Most interior rust repair is completed now. The top is fine condition inside and out. I welded small hooks here and there so that I can hang lanterns, hang bags or carry my fishing rods up in the ceiling. The rear hatch has some hooks welded to it too, so that when I pop the back open I can hook a lantern too it. Haven't even hand a chance to take it out camping yet. Too friggin busy.

Got this wheel at the bone yard. It's great, old school 80 wheel is wide. Would'nt trade it...except for a better one just like it.
    Last edited by ONE800; 05-20-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    1967 Scout 800 V8.

So how many of you own a pick-up? Most of you have had one at one point in time, I'm sure of that.

When you owned it, did you ever remove the tail gate? If you did it was probably pretty easy.

How many of you have removed the tail gate on your 800? It's not easy to do, infact it is a real hassle. Unbolting a minimum of 4 bolts is not what I call easy. I was hit by a good idea today and this posting will show you what I did.

I have a 1978 Chevy truck (pictured below). It's tail gate comes off faster than I can drop my pants...perhaps I'm out of practice. In any case, I copied all the good ideas from the chevy to my 800.

As you can see below, the Chevy tail gate has an easy to remove linkage.

The 800 uses a shoulder bolt to hold the linkage. I did some careful observation and then ground down two sides of this bolt in order to copy the chevy.

1967 Scout 800 V8.

Here is the Chevy removed.

Here is the 800 removed after altering the shoulder bolt.

The chevy, passangers side, uses this piviot with flattened sides. The tail gate has a notch cut in the bottom of it to slide over the flattened piviot.

1967 Scout 800 V8.

So I removed my passanger side piviot, and cut away some material to mimic the Chevy piviot.

I also cut away a notch in my tail gate to allow for this slide on action.

The 800 tail gate has a notch from the factory at the top of the tail gate piviot hole. I decided to weld in a strip of metal to support the tail gate. I dont know if it is needed, but seemed like the right thing to do.

Here is a photo trying to show how this newly altered tail gate will slide onto the piviot, and when the tail gate is rocked upward into its closed position, the passangers side piviot will act like it always has.

I hope that this will help others who want to a quick off tail gate. Talk about easy and cheep. Only need a hack saw and a file.

Take care.
    1967 Scout 800 V8.