Thread: 74' Reserection

Default 74' Reserection

Hey guys, I need a little help and direction. I have a 74 scout with a 304 and it has been sitting for 2-3 years. I want to get it up and running and pulled it into my shop this week but not sure what to do and where to start. Just charged the battery and doesnt seem like it wants to turn over?

Quote Originally Posted by scoutingabout View Post
    Hey guys, I need a little help and direction. I have a 74 scout with a 304 and it has been sitting for 2-3 years. I want to get it up and running and pulled it into my shop this week but not sure what to do and where to start. Just charged the battery and doesnt seem like it wants to turn over?
    Scoutingabout,

Can you provide a little more info? What noises are you hearing? Clicking? Do you have lights? Any grinding?

You can't always just start an engine that's been sitting so long. Have you checked the fluids, blockages in the radiator, small animals in the exhaust?

Depending on where and how it was stored, your electrical connections may all be corroded and you will have to unplug and clean everything.

Also check to see if your wiring is now home to any rats. You might let all the smoke out of the wires if you just start it up without checking.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutingabout View Post
    Use a breaker bar. Can you turn the motor at the crank? If not major issues. If so move on to spark, fuel and fluids. The main thing I worry about is push rods. Also what seems to extremely common is the Holley gold box issue if you have one and points that need to be replaced. As a newb myself with a lot of wasted parts I hope this helps.