Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No fuel and out of options

An electric pump will not fix this problem. You have something stuck in the fuel line. If there is a rubber line anywhere, it could have an internal break in it that acts like a "flap." One way, it's closed, the other way, it folds back against the wall of the line.

I'm guessing something is in the tank, something big enough to get sucked into the pickup tube, or there is a soft line somewhere that is collapsing or internally frayed.

I don't see any other options at this point. Only looking at it would allow that.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Here is what I know: Before I did anything I had this problem.

First I replaced the fuel filter; didn't solve problem.

Next I replaced the fuel line which was this crappy hard plastic stuff with new 3/8" aluminum from tank to fuel pump. Didn't solve problem.

Then I replaced the fuel pump; didn't solve problem.

Then I ran rubber hose from the pump into the cab and into a gas can... and that worked.

Next I dropped my tank and replaced internal filter, capped all vent lines with the exception of the 1/2" one to the fill neck (ran new rubber for that) and put all new rubber from tank to hard line, hard line to pump, and pump to carb. Still didn't work.

Next I ran air through the hard line to make sure no restrictions and into the tank from the rubber line....still doesn't work.

The reason I think an electric pump might work is it only has to suck fuel a short distance and has gravity working with it. Then it pushes it all the way to the front.

You have a blockage in your pickup tube in the tank or the connection from the tank to the line is bad or your new fuel line is kinked.

I am sure of this, given the information you just provided. There is a piece of crud or a kink between the gas tank and the fuel pump.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Agree. Verified 100% today with a bit of backyard mechanics. I used an electric fuel pump hooked up to a battery and in a gas can hooked up to the carb. Kept mechanical fuel pump hooked up normal and put the feed into another gas can. Started and ran great. Fuel pump on truck struggled to put out what amounted to nothing.

Re-Verified mechanical pump worked by then running it in a gas can.

Tomorrow I will unhook the tank from the hard line and run hose into gas can, if no gas plug in fuel line. If gas, plug in fuel pickup.

Thanks for all the support! Hope I can reciprocate in the future.

Well after countless hours of messing with this I finally have fuel!! The hose from the tank to the fuel line was getting pinched. You couldn't see it and when I dropped the tank the first time I just re-routed the hose the same way as the previous owner. Well that was wrong.

For anyone dropping the tank make sure the hose coming off the tank pickup heads straight over to the frame rail. The rib in the tank provides a nice space between the frame and the tank. Then you can come forward.

Well I guess now I can drop a tank and put it back up by myself in under an hour

Quote Originally Posted by ronmc View Post
    Are you sure the line from the tank to your hard line is not getting pinched upon re-installing of the tank. It happened on my 75, pinched between the body and the tank. Only mine just flat ran out of gas 50 yards from the shop.
    Ron
    Yeah!! I won!! What's my prize!!
    Just kidding, glad you found the problem.
    Ron
    Ron Mc
    1975 Scout II
    1974 Scout II
    1965 IH pickup----sold it