Thread: palpup

Post palpup

I just purchased a 1974 IH loadstar 1600, it has a 345 engine my first IH so I know very little about them. It needs a tune up I need to know-
    where is # ! cyl. What is the cyl.configuration ?. I understand that timing is from cyl. # 8. What is the Dwell setting ?

One is front driver's side. 8 is rear passenger side. You can also time from number 5, even though it's on the exhaust stroke. The timing light will still find the mark, since they're 180 degrees out of phase. If it's running, you'll have it right.

There is no dwell setting on a 74. It's an electronic ignition system, a Holley gold box, at least on all the IH trucks I've seen with that engine series. The dwell is not a relevant thing with a pulse generator/amplifier system like that. If you open up the distributor and there really are points, and no gold box on the firewall, dwell for a carb'd gas powered V8 is typically 30 degrees. 28-32 is the spec. That being the case, you could start with a gap of .016 for used points and .019 for new. I don't think you'll find points in there, though.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thank you Allan E. this is what I wanted to know,, It does have points and condenser that I have changed..
    It starts and runs but not very smooth. # stamped on block V345 E 1277754 thanks again
    Last edited by palpup; 08-27-2012 at 07:04 AM.