Thread: BIO-DIESEL- How safe is it to use?

me and my friends make it but i am not to upon the tech stuff. runs it in his 2011 5500
    does okay. crd jeep runs real good. 2006 f250 water in fuel light comes on now and then. my jd tractor runs real good but it smells like french fries. it burns cleaner than normal diesel. but we are just getting the refining process down.

Really depends on the age of the vehicle. Rubber fuel lines will not hold up well to it so alot of people swap out what they can to stainless steel tube. Also it has solvent properties so it will break loose all the old build up in your fuel system so you'll clog up filters for a while. It attracts more water than petroleum fuel so you may get the water in fuel light as stated above. It also gels at much higher temperatures, so if you live somewhere that it drops below 32 degrees you need anti geling agents or run it as a blend with petroleum fuel.

I've never run it personally, but have seen guys running 100% BD in my same truck (2005 Duramax) with no issues. In fact those trucks burned cleaner (less black smoke) than mine when put under load. Did smell like fries though, I think some company sells add ins to make different sents.

I have a neighbor who uses it in his tractors and truck with a few problems. Main problems being in his processing he has a lot of fats left over so if he doesn't keep it warm it will thicken up. On one tractor he uses a electric water heater tank as a fuel tank and plugs it in before using it in winter. He also has a huge 30 kilowatt generator and a 1200 gallon tank he plans on powering his home with on the fuel. He has been successful using it the main problem I see was the clogging

I've been thinking about using something like used cooking oil in my 7.3 to combat the3 high cost of fuel here in Canaduh LOL

My entire truck (68' Travelette) was built around being able to use bio-diesel. I run a 1990 Cummins 6BT on 50% biodiesel will all lines having been redone to handle this kind of fuel and a two stage fuel filtration system as well. The Cummins loved B99 but in time it killed my fuel injection pump. And as many others suggest, I use the Stanadyne fuel lubrication additive as well.