Thread: 196 c.i. 32/36 DGAV Question

Default 196 c.i. 32/36 DGAV Question

Hi folks,

My 4 cyl. 196 has a weber 32/36. When I make long freeway climbs, the motor seems to "stumble" as I push up toward 55 mph. If I stay on the throttle, which is only half open at that point, or attempt to accelerate it backfires out the tailpipe and goes really rough. I pulled the top off the carb to check the secondary jets and float bowl which were clean. Does this sound like a fuel pressure or fuel pump issue?

Thanks in advance!

Steve W.

Good question.

A couple of possibilities come to mind.

1. This particular throttle position is borderline for your power valve.
    2. The fuel pump is weak.

If it's the fuel pump, I would think putting your foot to the floor any time would make a difference on a grade, so trying to accellerate up a hill, going through the gears would give you the same symptoms.

I have found the scout 80/800 forum at www.JustIH.org contains the best knowledge about the 196/Weber combination.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks for the thoughts. I have an extra fuel pump in my kit of parts. It's an easy swap out, so I'll give it a try. Is it possible to adust the butterfly in the secondary to effectively enrichen the mixture? I'd hate to see what my mileage would change to if I had to go to a larger jet size on the secondary to compensate for being too lean even after I swap out the fuel pump.
    Are you aware of any DGV threads that might help me dial in my jets? My fuel economy is pretty bad (like sub 11 mpg) and I haven't seen any recommendations for dialing jet sizes for the 196.

Thanks again!

Steve

wow, that mileage is terrible. I am getting 18-20 and I live at 7000ft. I ended up welding an O2 bung and putting in an o2 sensor. I drove around for a week with a voltmeter till I got it dialed in.

Hey, that's a cool idea. Where did you locate your O2 bung?

Got it at autozone I think. I believe you can use a spark plug adapter also (anti fouling)
    Last edited by MacManNM; 07-10-2009 at 02:12 PM.