Thread: T-all width

Default T-all width

The local boneyard has a late 60's t-all. What is the axle width compared to my 65 80? Also what is the typical front axle in the t-all?

thanks,
    mac

Quote Originally Posted by MacManNM View Post
    The local boneyard has a late 60's t-all. What is the axle width compared to my 65 80? Also what is the typical front axle in the t-all?

thanks,
    mac
    The t-all axle is about 75 inches from the outside of the hubs. It's a Dana 44. The spring perch width is the same as a Scout II, but not the same as a Scout 80. If you're going to make a change like this, you'll have to move the spring perches on the scout. I would recommend a blazer or suburban or wagoneer as the donor vehicle, something with disc brakes, and also do the rear axle at the same time. The late 60s travelall has closed knuckle axles, and the turning radius of an aircraft carrier.

What's on the t-all? Rear quarter panel glass? Working tailgate motor? Windshield in good shape? Fenders? Engine? T-case?
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I can take some pics and let you know next week when i go back. So its just as wide as a big chevy. I have a corp 10 sitting in the garage but i really didnt want to shorten anything. I was hoping it was the same width as a SII.

mac

No, the t-all is spring over. No way the factory would put out a narrow width rig with the center of gravity up high like that.

The most interesting front axle conversion, if you can fabricate, is a Dana 60 from a later rig, then the knuckles from a Scout w/D30. You can shorten the tubes, then slide the scout outer section inside the D60 so that you can use the stock axles, then weld it up. You can pick your caster with the axle already on the truck, with the rear axle already converted.

The advantage to this is the steering gear not needing as much modification. Tie rods, drag links, etc. That part can run hundreds of dollars all by itself unless you know what fits from other vehicles, and even then, custom drag linkls and tie rods....

On the rear axle, a travelall axle can be done the same way using a square bodied travelall, but if you're going to be cutting and welding anyway, just cut the perches off the scout and put some on top. Then, with the truck level, you will have the right setup for determining your front caster, which is the last thing you do.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I already did a soa on the truck, and I have a d44 in the rear. I wanted to beef up the front as I am thinking about running 35's. It's not like this rig gets heavy trail use. I guess I'll just have to find a later SII

I went back today and it is gone.