Thread: 345 to transmission problem..

Default 345 to transmission problem..

ok so im rebuilding a 345, but the spline that goes into the transmission doesn't fit cause the transmission shaft is to small. now that i am thinking is takeing the fly wheel off the 4 cylinder and putting it on the 8 cylinder so i can fit. is this a bad idea cause will the engine teeth tear through the trannie, or is this idea going to work?

Quote Originally Posted by scoutboy66 View Post
    ok so im rebuilding a 345, but the spline that goes into the transmission doesn't fit cause the transmission shaft is to small. now that i am thinking is takeing the fly wheel off the 4 cylinder and putting it on the 8 cylinder so i can fit. is this a bad idea cause will the engine teeth tear through the trannie, or is this idea going to work?
    The 4 cylinder transmission on a 66 scout is different from the V8 transmission. The input shaft and bell housings are not the same. It will not work.

You have to use the flywheel from the V8. All 4 V8 flywheels are the same. Both 4 cyl flywheels are the same. They do not interchange. This is important, because the SV-8 engines are externally balanced with the flywheels. The 4 cylinder engines are internally balanced. You can bolt them on, but the engine will shake. They are the same size. Don't do it.

You need a transmission and bell housing from a V8 powered scout. It's the only way you will get it to bolt up.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

i have the transmission and bell housing from the truck. ( its a model 200 i think) and it has the same tranny the scout did 4spd. maybe i could mix and match parts to make the tranny bolt onto the Transfer case.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutboy66 View Post
    i have the transmission and bell housing from the truck. ( its a model 200 i think) and it has the same tranny the scout did 4spd. maybe i could mix and match parts to make the tranny bolt onto the Transfer case.
    The t-case will bolt to the 4 speed from a scout, but the tailshaft housings is different from the truck. The 4x4 pickups had divorced transfer cases, with a small driveshaft in between. The 4x4 scouts had married transfer cases. The Scouts of that year had the same 4 speed, a T19, but that rear housing was different.

Scouts came with both wide and close ratio transmissions then. You're looking for 75 and later scouts for the right parts, although any scout with a V8 would work, or else a Scout II with a 4 speed and an IH 4 or 8 cylinder engine, since they changed the transmissions to be the same as the V8 in the later scouts. The early Scout II with the AMC6 may not work. I can't remember. For that, an AMC engine would be an easier swap.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

the pick up truck is 2wd. well 4wd technically cause its a dually.. but yea its a 2wd pick up. so there is no TC