Thread: if you were to engine swap

Default if you were to engine swap

If were to do a motor and tyranny swap what would you do. I am interested in peoples opinions. I love the torque of the 345 but I see wrecked trucks with modern drive trains go for ridiculous cheap numbers due to collision. I could get a complete drivetrain from a tohoe but what do you guys think of the pushbutton transfer case. I am just curious what you guys think.

Quote Originally Posted by jtl1100 View Post
    If were to do a motor and tyranny swap what would you do. I am interested in peoples opinions. I love the torque of the 345 but I see wrecked trucks with modern drive trains go for ridiculous cheap numbers due to collision. I could get a complete drivetrain from a tohoe but what do you guys think of the pushbutton transfer case. I am just curious what you guys think.
    That would be the way to do it. Complete power train, or complete drive train. It's silly to use an old style transmission when you can get so much better fuel economy out of a newer one.

As to which one to use, just do the math on it. Power vs. weight, intended use, etc. I'd go with a freshly built big block in front of an OD transmission with mated t-case.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

It totally depends on what you use the truck for. If it's a daily driver, and has occasional off highway use, then swapping something newer in is the way to go. If you are a serious off-roader, and want to increase mileage, just inject it.

mac

Default drivetrain

How involved is it to fuel inject a 345? I am not a hard core rock crawler. It is my daily driver but my main issue is poor mileage on the way to trail spots. I like the idea of the motor tranny and transfer case out of a chevy 2500. However, I am definately willing to look into some fuel injection kits if you can mention some.

Take a look at IHOnly, Jeff has a kit...albeit not pure injection but Throttle Body. It's worth taking a look at and I'm thinking about putting this kit in myself for better running on the hills. Good Luck.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Default Hmm kinds high

[QUOTE=okkool77;4912]Take a look at IHOnly, Jeff has a kit...albeit not pure injection but Throttle Body. It's worth taking a look at and I'm thinking about putting this kit in myself for better running on the hills. Good Luck.[/QUOTE

Love the idea but the cost is way up.

I have heard that the diesels like cummins from a 3500 or otherwise like want is in an f350 is too heavy from these trucks but I also hear the 345 is huge so I just wonder what y'all think?

If you put a Cummins in you want to go with the 4BT, otherwise you can put the 7.3 powerstroke in but you'll have to do a TON of fab work to make it fit. To put a 345 in is quick and simple, change the motor mounts and get the right bellhousing. Since the scout's came with them in already the wiring is good to go.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

I've often thought a vortec 350 out of a chevy pickup would be pretty sweet. An old 12 valve cummins from a dodge wouldn't be bad either, but I forsee heavy modifications trying to make that fit.