Thread: Distributor

Default Distributor

Are there any suggested substitutes for the prestolite distributor with electronic ignition for the IH 345?

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Are there any suggested substitutes for the prestolite distributor with electronic ignition for the IH 345?
    For what purpose? The 78 and later distributor module is very reliable. There are aftermarket replacements for the electronics, such as the Pertronix or the Crane or some others, because the distributors were used in other applications, and there are conversion projects you can do that give you easier access to spare parts using chevy HEI. If you want to convert to fuel injection, there are things you would do to the distributor that would change all that as well.

All distributors for the 345 are mechanically interchangeable as whole units. A 63 345 distributor will bolt in to a 1980 engine. Only the points vs. which style electronics you use are different.

By using the different style distributor bodies, you can pretty much customize it any way you want, but you have to pick a goal first.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default Thanks

The problem I am encountering is that I cannot find a prestolite dist. that is offered new and the only one is a reman.made by Cordone. I have been through 3 of these distributors. The electronic module keeps going out and now the Cordone co. has stopped making it. Could you tell me a little bit more about the Holley gold box system?