Thread: Hardtop

Default Hardtop

Hello all! I am considering a hardtop for my 79 scout 2 and was wondering if all scout 2 hardtops are the same. What should I look for when shopping? Thanks for the help!

yes all scout 2 tops are the same the traveller top is diffent but and awsome swap by cutting the top down and doing a little fiberglass workbecaus ethese tops are fiberglass and will save a lot of weight--less weight less broken parts---

There are 4 hard top options that you can use for a Scout II.

1. A fiberglass full length hardtop that was the original equipment for your Scout II
    2 A steel full length hardtop that was the original equipment for Scout II's from 1971-1976 I believe
    3. A steel half cab that will cover only the driver and passenger seats. These were available until 1976 IIRC
    4. A fiberglass half cab off of a Scout Terra truck. These were introduced in 1976. Like the steel half cab, they only cover the driver and passenger seats. You will also have to remove your driver and passenger side square window glass and replace with the rounded corner Terra or Traveler window glass

If it were me, I'd be looking at the fiberglass options, as they are lighter, easier to take on and off, not rusted out, and probably easier to restore.
    You can also purchase a brand new fiberglass top (both full length and half cab) from Kentrol industries. They are expensive though

A few IH owners have also taken a Traveler 118" full length fiberglass top and shortened it to fit on the shorter 100" Scout II. Its a cool look in my opinion, and Traveler tops are fairly easy to find. If you have some fab skills, it might be the way to go.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarScout View Post
    4. A fiberglass half cab off of a Scout Terra truck. These were introduced in 1976. Like the steel half cab, they only cover the driver and passenger seats. You will also have to remove your driver and passenger side square window glass and replace with the rounded corner Terra or Traveler window glass
    Chris
    Yes, you don't need the whole door, just the side windows out of a terra. They are a direct replacement for the side windows you have. Call me bias but I like the rounded corners better. haha!

Default Always Amazed

I am always amazed at the awesome info I get from you guys! Thanks!

Ok - so replacing windows in the doors makes a better fit. How about in a Scout 800 that has roll up windows adapting it for a Scout 80 half top that originally had slider windows. Can the door glass be replaced to make that combo work?

only if the doors were the same between the models. I dont know as i have never dealt with an 80 or 800 model
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers