Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windshield wipers - 77 Scout II

Default windshield wipers - 77 Scout II

I'm very new to scouts and haven't purchased a manual yet. The wipers don't work; you turn the knob and nothing happens. This is the first thing I need to fix because it rains alot in Seattle! Where do you guys think I should start with fixing this problem?

Thanks

What have you checked thus far? Have you confirmed that you have power all the way to the switch? If you have power to the switch, have you pulled it out and checked the connections going to the motor? Does power get to the motor? Any burning smells?

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Scout View Post
    I'm very new to scouts and haven't purchased a manual yet. The wipers don't work; you turn the knob and nothing happens. This is the first thing I need to fix because it rains alot in Seattle! Where do you guys think I should start with fixing this problem?

Thanks
    1. Check for POWER at the switch, and also check to see if the connector is loose. If no power, check the fuse. If power, continue to step 2.
    2. The switch has a built in circuit breaker with auto reset. Is it still working? Dead? To check it, you remove all but the power feed and test to see if it's producing an output.
    3. John Fleck is in Bremerton at Back Country Binders. He may have a replacement of what you need laying around in a parts rig he can sell you. If it's just the fuse, don't call John (or another vendor, I have no ax to grind, good or bad) yet, just replace it and start over with your checks. After that, you may find a problem that will require a replacement part.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Don't forget, you need wiper blades in place or you will rip up the windshield. Don't ask me how I found that out...
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks for the advice. So, I assume I'm supposed to pull the dash off to do this? I haven't worked on a truck this old in 20 years! My two previous cars were M3's! And... the fuse is in the wire?

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Scout View Post
    Thanks for the advice. So, I assume I'm supposed to pull the dash off to do this? I haven't worked on a truck this old in 20 years! My two previous cars were M3's! And... the fuse is in the wire?
    You do not have to remove the dash to check the switch. You can access the switch from underneath.
    Let me know if you need a picture or 2...
    Thanks
    Rob

This is probably a noob question. To check the power, do I need an amp/volt meter? I use to have one of these that looked like a pocket calculator. The ones I see for sale online look like digital alarm clocks.

Thanks.

You do NOT need a volt meter. You can use a test light to get basic info. If your test light illuminates, you have power.

I have power to the motor, so the motor must be the problem. Well, there are three wires that go to the motor - one is always on, the other has power if the wipers are set to low, and the other one never has power (ground?). In high, only the first wire has power. Does this sound right?

I'm also having issues removing the motor. I removed the thin metal cover and the three bolts that attach the motor and bracket to the chassis, but the motor is still attached to the wiper arm. Can I disconnect the wipers or is there a pin that connects the motor to the arm?

If you have power to the motor and it is not working, check the ground. If you have power at all times, this is wrong. the motor would run all the time.
    You should have power to the switch when the key is on and to the motor only when the key and switch are on.
    I am not sure about removal. I will go look at mine.
    Sorry I can't tell what it looks like for removal... I can however, tell you that I have 3 wires going into my wiper motor. 1 Green, 1 Red and 1 Black.
    Green should be the "parking switch".
    Black I am guessing to be low and Red to be high.
    The motor should have another wire for ground. It is not one of these.

Hope this helps...Rob
    Last edited by rbelflower; 07-12-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks for the help Rob! I got my binder manual yesterday and found the section that discussed motor removal. Whilebthe manual seems very detailed in regards to the engine, dreicetrain, etc., there's no information on how to remove the linkages for the wiper motor.

From studying the wiper motor elec. schematics, it appears that I do have a wiring issue which I'll have to work out. The wiring to the wiper motor comes from the passenger side of the engine bay, while the wiring from the switch goes through the drivers side. This is going to be a bigger PITA than I imagined.I'll have to remove the switch to ensure it's working properly.

Any hints on how to tea e back this problem?