Thread: 1100 4x4 Bearing and Hub Parts?

Default 1100 4x4 Bearing and Hub Parts?

Well... my front bearings turned to shrapnel and ruined the hub, spindle, and everything else in there. Axle and knuckle are in tact tho. Now I need to either reengineer the whole thing or rebuild it as it was. My set up was not contemplated by myself or anyone employed by IHC. The '68 1100C 4x4 has closed-knuckle axles of unknown type (probably IHC factory axles?), Chevy spindles of unknown year, and Ford disc brakes and backing plate of unknown year (not the sliding type caliper tho). This conversion was done sometime in the mid 80s using parts from the late '70s/early '80s. I'll know more when I get the other front wheel apart as to whether it was just bad fit or a bad seal.

Meanwhile, can anyone tell me what flavor of axle I have, how to tell, and where I might find parts that work? Also, anyone tried a disc brake conversion on a '61-'68 truck using the '69-'75 dana discs?

I think the spindles are different from open to closed knuckle.

IHC never made their own axle's. but i'll have what you need outa 1100 C come 1st week of sept., jeff

The 74/75 front axles are a bolt on swap if you want to change to discs. You can convert the 73 axle, open knuckle, but it came with drums. Also a bolt on swap. Of course, we're still talking about a 40 year old truck, so it may be hard to find one...Half ton to 3/4 ton is also a bolt on. The rear axle from a 73 and earlier works. The 74/75 rear axles had the spring perches moved on all but the duallies.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Quote Originally Posted by jeff campbell View Post
    IHC never made their own axle's. but i'll have what you need outa 1100 C come 1st week of sept., jeff
    OK... learned a lot since the last post. it's a closed knuckle Dana 44. These were equipped with drums unlike any other drums. Seriously! So unlike any other that the're $600-$700 per side, if you can find one. Hence the conversion to discs.

There's no kits to convert a closed knuckle D44 to discs because it's too easy to just swap axles to an open knuckle D44 that already has discs. But there is a recipe for mixing axle components to create what I have. I found the article explaining the conversion, read it, and understand it. From my owners maintenance log, mine was rebuilt some 20,000 miles ago (1988), and they used all the right parts except they didn't put thrust washer bearings on the inside of the 72 Chevy spindles (open knuclke spindles in the recipe). The lack of thrust washer left an unfortunate amount of play for the steering u-joints to slide back and forth in the closed knuckle housing. The front wheels kept engaging or unengaging the hub locks as the the axles slid back and forth. This explains why everything crumbled, probably from the outside in.

The axle shafts are fine. The u-joints are fine. I already have the disc brake parts. So I am now locating the remaining parts and machining to reconstruct a properly converted disc set up. If that fails, I'll be buying another (open-knuckled) axle.

You can find a booster that will bolt to the 67 and later setup without too much trouble. If it had been 66 or earlier, it's not quite as easy. You'll also need a new master cylinder/proportioning valve because of the check valve issue. I think I would find a rear axle to install at the same time and go to 4 way discs, also to match the lug pattern. I've gotten to the point where I really like 4 way discs on my pickup truck, so everything will get switched from now on when I do the brakes. You think these were a pain, the 1200B drums are made from unobtanium and have a lug pattern that nobody else used after about '58.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak