Thread: New Guy Here with Questions

Default New Guy Here with Questions

Hi, I came on this forum to ask a few questions about a 64 Scout 80. This fellow I came across has one with really low miles and in really good condition. Actually been stored in a building up on a rack for many years. Anyway I was eyeballing it for use on the farm as a utility vehicle but have no idea what to offer the guy if I decide I want it. So hopefully i could get some idea from folks here. I suppose if I decide not to pursue it and someone here has a strong interest I steer you in the direction. With that all said the it is a 64, with winch and plow. Looks all original. has 09500 miles if I saw that correctly. No dents, and a bit of rust in the lower quarters. from a restoration stand point there is minimal work on the body. Now the top is probably shot as it is dented in on the top, looks like some one put cargo type strips on the top and riveted them in place, however they no longer are there. Guy says it will run. Really looks clean which is impressive. So it was his grandads, he bought it new. Original hubcaps and probably even the tires. It looks complete. I am trying to figure what it might be worth and then make him a reasonable offer. any help is appreciated. I need something that I can used and would like this vehicle as it is a light duty type and would be good on gas. - Bill

what type of top is it? it depends because certain tops are much harder to find than others.

and congrats on the great find, most of us are not that lucky and our scouts have been eaten by the weather!

Its a station wagon top or full top. Not the half cab. If there are different styles of the full top I wouldn't know the difference.

ok, cleared it up for myself, the slanted "sport top" was only available on the scout 800. however if you needed to, you could easily switch tops. people do it all the time. If you wanted a half cab, you could make it a half cab if you wanted a pickup bed. there's the great thing about scouts. They're almost like automoblox!

also, the early scouts' rear seats are highly sought after. if you were going to a pickup bed and you have a rear seat (it might not have one though) that might be able to get you some decent $$$.

It does not have a rear seat. The spare tire is mounted in the bed.

Might be 109K rather than 9K, but that really shouldn't be a problem. Offer him what you think it's worth to you. I have never paid more than 700 dollars for a Scout 80, but I'm not from your area.

What you are describing sounds like a Sport Top. I don't know what years they were offered, but I have seen model 800s with them.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak