Thread: 1963 IH C900 SAND TRUCK BUILD "RaptorKiller"

Default 1963 IH C900 SAND TRUCK BUILD "RaptorKiller"

Hello to everyone, Today I will began to document the build of "RatorKiller". This vehicle will be built mainly for dirt and sand with some intermediate asphalt time. Feel free to give your opinion and or ask questions.
    Last edited by e_salasjr; 08-15-2013 at 09:51 AM.

This is the beginning a 1963 C900 4x4, but it did not start that way. My father first purchased the truck in 1983 from the original owner in California. It was a green color, 2-wheel drive four cylinder daily driver. My ''popps'' drove it to and from work on a daily basis for about ten to twelve years, during that time swapping out the four banger for the 392 for some time and later the 304 (claiming the 392 was too fast). As well as horsepower upgrades, it also went through two body color changes; first a metallic blue in the late 80's then to the current canary yellow in the mid 90's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by e_salasjr; 08-15-2013 at 10:04 AM.

image.jpg

The 392 is back from the machine shop. It has been hot tanked,cylinders were bored .030 over, Crank mains were line bored and currently i'm prepping for paint.
    Last edited by e_salasjr; 08-15-2013 at 09:24 AM.

image.jpg

A couple fresh coats of Rustoleum Cast Iron engine enamel.
    Last edited by e_salasjr; 08-16-2013 at 05:28 PM.

image.jpg

Just got the crankshaft back from the machine shop, it has been hot tanked and polished. (The crank is still with in standard tolerances)
    Last edited by e_salasjr; 08-16-2013 at 05:01 PM.

image.jpg

Started removing the old canary yellow paint with a 4" putty knife while i wait for my crank bearings to arrive from summit.
    Last edited by e_salasjr; 08-16-2013 at 04:59 PM.

why is it called raptor killer? does it kill ford raptors?

anyways, awesome build, good luck.

Thx 76scoutkid

Continuing the story from #2; during a trip to baja when I was about 16, a bunch of the male family members at a small reunion decided to go to the dunes in the outskirts of Mexicali BCN. When we arrived there was many locals at "the Spot", which was a single 50' sand hill against the Centinela Mountain Range, but what caught my attention was an Inernational about the same year hauling A** up and down the sand dune. Thats when the light-bulb turned on in my head and I knew in what direction we needed to go with our project... "Baja Style"
    Last edited by e_salasjr; 08-16-2013 at 05:21 PM.

image.jpg

I recieved the 392 crankshaft bearings from summit today. (Sealed Power pn#4070 M )

Unless you spun a bearing, it is very unusual to need to turn a crank in one of these engines. I have torn down several of them and have yet to see one that needed to be turned. (345 uses same crank with slightly different balance) They just polish right up. The cylinders get scored a bit, and the pistons get galled occasionally, but normally the bottom end will easily go a million miles on the original crank and block. You will want to true the heads and drop about .006 to .010" if the head gaskets are original, though, because the original metal gaskets were replaced with a composite style that is thicker than the originals, and it changes the quench a bit. You can go a total of .100 without affecting the geometry of the push rods. Max overbore is .060. If you intend to run the engine hard, you will want to upgrade the valve springs. Otherwise, stay close to the original cam specs. The 392 is simply not designed for high rpm, but with a stock cam it will produce 300 foot pounds of torque at 2000 rpm. That means you can idle over things, lots of torque off idle. The real issue on these engines is the cam bearings. Do a really good job installing them, be sure to clean the oil passages very well, as the hot tank doesn't always do the trick, before you install them. Once you get the engine broken in, think about fuel injection unless you already have a setup that you know will work without adjustment. Better to modify a good running engine than an unknown one. The 304 is a faster engine most of the time because it spins up faster and has a higher top end. The 392 will beat it pulling or hauling, but not when both are unloaded with something as small as a pickup truck.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak